Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ram And Videocard Inquiry

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 woodstock1968

woodstock1968

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 24 November 2007 - 11:44 AM

Hi a question for the techies or someone who knows . I have an older system socket 939 and im running ddr400 ram in it.my question is if i upgrade the video card to say a 8600gt ddr3 will i actually see the performance boost from the drr3 versus another card say a ddr2 since my ram is pc3200 184 pin ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,042 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 24 November 2007 - 12:51 PM

There isn't a correlation between you system memory (RAM) and the RAM on the graphics card.

It would depend on what DDR2 graphics card you are comparing it to. It would also depend on what type of improvement you are looking for, higher performance or better resolution. Hight RAM usually equals better resolution.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 swagger

swagger

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 27 November 2007 - 05:02 PM

System memory and video card memory are two different things when you are talking about a standalone graphics card. The DDR3 memory you are referring to on the 8600GT is built onto the video card and is completely separate from your system's memory.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users