Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Win98SE

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 20 February 2005 - 03:27 PM

I just formatted my computer's hard drive.When I put the cd-rom in to install windows I get the ''Invalid System Disk Replace te disk, and then press any key''.

I put in my windows 98SE disk

Pleas help me :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 megaman

megaman

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 20 February 2005 - 05:52 PM

does the computer recognize it has a cd-rom drive ?... ie the boot disk created a ram drive and named it D which then makes the cd-rom the 'E' drive.
The definition of success is the ability to survive failure !

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 21 February 2005 - 01:37 AM

Check the BIOS for the boot order . Make sure your CD is before your HD . Also are you sure this is a bootable CD ? Try to make a boot disk at Bootdisk.com . See if you can start from a floppy or burn the boot files to a CD.

acklan
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 lymedis

lymedis

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2005 - 02:15 PM

Can you get into your bios some brand name P.C.s don't make it easy, if not try this Bios entry I've had the best luck booting from a 98 startup floppy and choosing start computer with CD support then it goes as well as any Windoze install can go. You should also know your hardware in the box since windows will default to 256 colors till you smack it in the head. I use Karens' computer profiler freeware on any PC before I do anything saves some heartburn when you need drivers. This is assuming the drive is OK if the drive is sick you can use Spinrite to do a temporary fix at level 5 it can repair bad sectors that scandisk has marked as bad this will at least fix it long enuf to run the profiler and get the info you need without opening the box. I have seen Spinrite bring more then one drive back from the dead,the new version works on all file systems even Linux and NTFS.
Good Luck
Richie
"If It Ain't Broke I Can Fix That"

#5 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2005 - 05:51 PM

I can get into the bios but how can I check the order thing
I am a real noob
I made a boot disk at bootdisk.com and I put it in the floppy drive and started it up and it said that error

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2005 - 10:23 PM

In the bios look under the boot menu or advanced setup. What you are looking for is the boot sequence. In this case you need to make the A: drive as the first boot device. Boot with the floppy you made from bootdisk.com and when you are asked select to start the computer with CD-Rom support. When it is finished you will see A:\>. Type R: (those bootdisks make your CD drive R:) and type setup.

You can't boot from a 98 CD. Have you formatted the drive or used fdisk yet?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2005 - 09:55 PM

I have formatted my hard drive

P.S. Will it maybe be possible to talk on an instant messaging service and you could maybe help me there that would be greatly appreciated juste e-mail me at (this has been removed to protect my e-mail adress)

Edited by Klinkaroo, 23 February 2005 - 08:04 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users