Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Search And Run Buttons In Xp Pro Are Missing!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 webe123

webe123

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 24 November 2007 - 03:42 AM

OK, this is very strange. The buttons for search and run are missing when you click the start button and the little screen pops up. Usually, they are right beside "log off"on the bottom of the little pop up screen when you click start...but they are missing now.

I right clicked on start, but could not find an option to put these two buttons back on there where they were.

Can someone give me a step by step on how to do this...I am sure something might be unchecked. (though HOW it got that way I do not know, they were working fine)

It is only a small problem, I know, but I do not want to have to reformat my computer just to get a couple of buttons back on there...LOL!

So can someone help me get these two buttons back on there? I use search a lot and that is why I ask. Otherwise it would be no problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 24 November 2007 - 04:37 AM

Hey, webe123.

That's a bit of a noodle scratcher. Can you use keyboard shortcuts to access Search and Run?

Search: Windows Key + F
Run: Windows Key + R

If so, then it should be a simple process to get them back. If, so... well that should be simple too.

#3 webe123

webe123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2007 - 04:50 AM

Hey, webe123.

That's a bit of a noodle scratcher. Can you use keyboard shortcuts to access Search and Run?

Search: Windows Key + F
Run: Windows Key + R

If so, then it should be a simple process to get them back. If, so... well that should be simple too.

Nope. Simply brings back up that same screen with the buttons missing, Thanks for the try though.

I DO know that a program I was using and then deleted seemed to act up momentarily and that was when I noticed the buttons gone. I do not remember the name of the program, though.

#4 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 24 November 2007 - 05:38 AM

This picture might help--

Click Here for picture

Edited by medab1, 24 November 2007 - 05:40 AM.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#5 webe123

webe123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2007 - 05:45 AM

This picture might help--

Click Here for picture

Just as I suspected....that did not work either. I even unchecked them and re checked them, still nothing.

My computer is screwed up. Looks like I will be reformatting after all.

#6 adamscomputerskent

adamscomputerskent

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 24 November 2007 - 07:29 AM

I think I can help you with this one. It could be a local user policy setting. If you are computer administrator, go to control panel, add a user account and log out, log in as the new user,are the buttons there?

If not, I'll look into other options.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 24 November 2007 - 07:44 AM

Just out of curiosity, can you open Task Manager? Try right clicking on an empty part of the Task Bar and select "Task Manager". If you can't run it, I'd suggest running these free, online scans to rule out a malware infection:

http://safety.live.com
http://housecall.trendmicro.com
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 wildchild2

wildchild2

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 24 November 2007 - 08:34 AM

Have you tried a system restore to before you installed the program that acted up?
Posted Image

Custom Desktop,Intel Core2 Duo, GeForce 8400 Graphics,Vista Home, 2Gb ram, 160Gb & 250Gb Sata HDDs, Triple Monitors, Belkin keyboard and mouse, Avast Free, Compaq Laptop, Firefox browser, Thunderbird email, HP C5380 All-in-one Printer,Speedtouch Modem,Netgear Router, ADSL Broadband, Fuji Digital Camera.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users