Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Crashes

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 funnytim

funnytim

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 23 November 2007 - 11:32 PM

Hi,

I'm having trouble with my new computer. Recently, its always crashing on me, especially on start-ups and shutdowns. The computer just resets (makes a noise that usually happens only when i turn on the comp).
Afterward, I get a "System has recovered from a serious error" message (attached).

My comp is a Windows XP Pro, AMD Athlon 3800+ X2 processor, ASUS M2A-VM motherboard.

I got my new computer last July, and up until a couple of weeks ago, everything was still fine.

Any advice appreciated, thxs!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 23 November 2007 - 11:44 PM

Try running chkdsk,

Go to START -
then RUN
type CMD
a command box will open
type CHKDSK/F and hit enter
it will ask you if you want to run on next startup
type Y for yes
type EXIT the box will close
Restart your computer and let the test run, it will take some time

let us know if there is any change

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2007 - 11:45 PM

Please look in the Event Viewer and look at the errors in the Event column, these errors are recognized by the red dot with the white X in the middle. If you right click on the number in the Event column and then properties it will provide you with a description of the error. Please post these here.

If this has been going on for only a short period of time you could try a system restore or last known good configuration.

Edited by dc3, 23 November 2007 - 11:48 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2007 - 12:26 AM

The errors in the event viewer I'm getting are

.Net Framework 2.0:
EventType clr20r3, P1 ccc.exe, P2 2.0.0.0, P3 451d264f, P4 system.windows.forms, P5 2.0.0.0, P6 461ef203, P7 150c, P8 12f, P9 system.nullreferenceexception, P10 NIL.
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Service Control Manager:
The Acronis Scheduler2 Service service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the path specified.
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

System Error:
Error code 00000019, parameter1 00000020, parameter2 e22d6620, parameter3 e22d6678, parameter4 0c0b0602.

I'll try the chkdsk function soon, and tell u wat i come up with
thxs.

Edited by funnytim, 24 November 2007 - 12:26 AM.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2007 - 07:27 AM

The STOP 0x19 (shorthand for your last error) is a difficult error to troubleshoot. Here's a description of it: http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x19

As corrupt device drivers are the most common reason for this - Have you installed any new hardware recently, or have you updated the drivers for your hardware recently? Further analysis of the memory dump may reveal the cause. Search your hard drive for files ending in .dmp and .mdmp that occurred around the time of the STOP 0x19 error - if you find it, try this link to generate an analysis and post the results back here: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246

Other things that can cause this error are:
- hard drive errors (either of the file system or the physical structure of the disk) You can check this by running chkdsk /f /r from the command prompt - and then reboot to let it run. The physical structure of the disk can be checked with a free diagnostic available at the web site of the manufacturer of your hard drive.
- issues with your router - depends on what you've got for a router (or, if you even have one!) Let us know the make and model and we'll see what we can dredge up.
- Memory issues (not a primary suspect, but worth checking just-in-case). You can download and run a free memory test from here: http://www.memtest86.com/ Also, you may want to reset your pagefile (in case that's the memory that may have caused the error) - here's directions for it (Step 2 in this post): http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=389845

Now, to further complicate things is the first error - which points to both the .NET framework v2.0 and your ATI Catalyst Control Center. Try uninstalling both of these. The download and install the latest versions available at the manufacturer's website. This will most likely fix the first error - but it may/may not be related to the 3rd error. So it remains to be seen if it's the cause or not.

The second error is about your Acronis Scheduler. It says the service couldn't start because it couldn't find the path to the Acronis Scheduler service file. Since this usually occurs at startup, I'd suspect that the first error was also a startup error (to be sure we'd need the time stamps on the error messages) - but that still leaves the timing of the 3rd error in question.

So, after all this, my actual questions are:
- What are the time stamps of these errors?
- Do they repeat in a predictable pattern of some sort?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2007 - 05:22 PM

well....last time the .Net Runtime 2.0 Error occured was at 12:07AM....about the time I was going to shutdown my computer last night.
it also occured at 10:46PM though. I can't find a pattern here...

The service control Manager error occured today at 1:57PM, about the time when i started up my computer.

Ditto the System error, but it occured at 2:00:10PM, then again at 2:00:52pm.

I have not installed any new hardware recently.
I have a INEXQ ISO50t wired router, but my other computer connected to it (also Win XP) works fine w/ it.

I cant find any dmp or .mdmp that occurred around the time of the STOP 0x19 error.

So..should I try uninstalling and re-installing the .Net Framework 2.0 and ATI Catalyst software?
And/or next steps to take?

thxs.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2007 - 08:45 PM

The .NET error doesn't appear to be related to the STOP 0x19 error.
The Service Control Manager error is probably just a failure on startup - uninstalling and reinstalling your Acronis application should fix it.

Since this is such a complicated error - please only fix one thing at a time, and then test to see if it has fixed the problem.

Since there are no .dmp or .mdmp files - I'd suspect that error reporting is disabled or unable to report the memory dump (that's a whole 'nother problem in itself).

First I would uninstall .NET v2.0 and your ATI Catalyst software (use the uninstaller that comes with it). Then download and install the latest version from Microsoft (for .NET) and ATI for the Catalyst drivers. This is because it's the most obvious source of an error on the system - and we hope that it takes care of the problem.

Let the system run for a couple of days to see if it gives you the BSOD again - if it does, then....

From the few comments about this router that I was able to read, it is possible that it's a part of the problem. The definitive test is to do without the router for a while. OTOH - you could borrow another router to see if that fixes the problem.

If neither of these things fixes the BSOD issues, then I'd suggest that we work on re-enabling error reporting so we can get a .dmp file to examine. Other than that, I'd have to suggest updating every hardware driver on your system.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2007 - 01:02 AM

Is this the .Net Framework I should install? http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

And where would I get the ATI Catalyst driver? I'm using integrated onboard video from my motherboard, so i have no clue which driver I should download (I'm using the driver that came w/ my mobo disc).

thxs a lot.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2007 - 07:44 AM

Yep, that's the one for .NET v2.0!

According to this page ( http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmen...=101&l3=496 ) your mobo has integrated ATI Radeon X1250-based graphics. So, this link should get you drivers you need for your graphics card: http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst...p/integrated-xp

#10 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2007 - 08:20 PM

hm....i haven't updated it yet, but these few days (knock on wood) the comp has been OK shutting down & starting up.

i'm still getting the errors in event viewer tho.

wat gives?

#11 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2007 - 01:25 AM

This also comes up every once in a while (see screenshot)

Attached Files

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2007 - 06:44 PM

Your last post also points to your video drivers (actually, to the Catalyst Control Center which came bundled with your video drivers). I'd still go with updating your video drivers as the most likely solution.

#13 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2007 - 05:25 PM

I've updated my video drivers, and so far (knock on wood) the computer is OK

Fingers crossed, i hope this solved my problem :thumbsup:

thxs.

PS. sry for the late reply, i was busy w/ some hwk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users