Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pxe-e53 No Boot File Name Received

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 zippyzoe

zippyzoe

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 23 November 2007 - 11:25 PM

Hello:

Today - I bought a new monitor. Plugged it in. Turned it on. Started to browse the internet. Computer locked up.

Reboot.....

The computer would hang at Boot from CD. Its supposed to boot from hard drive.
Checked the bios. Changed the boot sequence to boot from hard drive.

Still same error.

Went to try safe mode so that I might could defrag the computer because I suspected I had a bad file.

Problem is I can't get to safe mode either.

Any recommendations.

I don't know the attributes of the computer other than its running on Windows XP. \

Thanks....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2007 - 12:16 AM

Have you tried Last known good configuration? You should get this option with the F8 key, same as going to safe mode option.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 24 November 2007 - 12:51 AM

Pxe-e53 No Boot File Name Received, computer boot problem

If this line is appearing your computer is attempting to boot from a network server. Check your BIOS and make sure "PXE booting" is not an option in the boot menu. If it is remove it. Also there are some motherboards that have this feature in the BIOS that requires you "Un-check" them to disable.
What make and model computer do you have?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2007 - 07:34 AM

Since the computer attempts to boot from CD and to boot from a network device - it appears that the computer is refusing to boot from the hard drive.

The first thing that I'd do would be to use your XP CD to boot to the Recovery Console (the first "R" when the XP installation CD launches)
Then type "chkdsk /f /r" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Let us know if it fixes any errors
Then type "fixboot" (without the quotes) and press Enter
Then type "fixmbr" (without the quotes) and press Enter
Then try and reboot the computer.

If still no luck, try downloading a free bootable diagnostic from the manufacturer of your hard drive (if you can't find one, let us know the manufacturer of your hard drive and we'll recommend one). It'll tell you the status of your hard drive.

Let us know the results of these tests and we can move on from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 zippyzoe

zippyzoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2007 - 08:54 AM

Thanks for the help!! I will do a search for the boot disk this AM. Anyone have any ideas why the config options were changed??

Also here is the string of other numbers on the scene:

CLIENT MAC ADDR: 00 19 21 D9 09 96 GUID: FEFEFEFE-FEFE-FEFE-FEFE-FEFEFEFEFEFE
PXE-EA0: Network boot canceled by keystroke
PXE-M0F: Exiting NVIDIA Boot Agent.

PXE-M0F: Exiting NVIDIA Boot Agent.
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

As for the make and model, its a generic system. Its all on the receipt with the boot disk. Where ever that is.

Note: Valuable lesson learned -- I will keep boot disk and manuals in easy place to find.

Edited by zippyzoe, 24 November 2007 - 08:57 AM.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2007 - 09:25 AM

Many things can corrupt the boot section of the drive. The XP boot disk is essential at this point - as you'll need it to repair things if you can, or you'll need it to restore XP if the hard drive turns out to be bad.

While looking for the boot disk, you can download a free, bootable diagnostic from the manufacturer of your hard drive and run it on the system to see if the hard drive is OK. Follow the instructions on the website to make a bootable CD. If you can't find one, let us know the manufacturer of your hard drive and we'll recommend one.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 zippyzoe

zippyzoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2007 - 09:56 AM

I found my boot disk. Put it in and went to run Restore by pressing R.

It went to another screen and said that I didn't have any hard drives installed.

Rebooted and tried again. Same problem. No Hard drive installed.

Also, I can't access safe mode thru the F8 key.

Thanks....

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2007 - 10:05 AM

That's not good :thumbsup:

I really would suggest using another computer to download a bootable diagnostic utility for your hard drive. That will tell you if the hard drive is bad or not - and then we can move on from there.

#9 zippyzoe

zippyzoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2007 - 11:52 AM

Okie dokie. I'm not sure if my laptop cd drive is a burner or not. How do I figure out that? That's the only way to make a bootable disk to checkout the harddive, right???

Meanwhile. I'll pop open my other computer and find out what kind of harddrive I have.

Really weird how all this happened. Purchased a new monitor at one of the Black Friday sales and once I plugged it in. The computer stopped working. I swear I have some bad luck. .....

#10 zippyzoe

zippyzoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2007 - 12:06 PM

I forgot to mention that I have 2 drives.

C drive is Western Digital WD800 (80gb)
D drive is quantom - I think (20 gb)

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2007 - 01:10 PM

Something I've experienced before (and again yesterday): A problematical drive on a system can prevent booting by the system, no matter which drive (hard/optical) it happens to be. So it's not necessarily your boot drive which is the problem.

I would check the connections for all...no, I think I'd start by removing the connections for the optical and other drive and see if it boots. If so, add them one at a time.

Also you can check Event Viewer (if the system boots), it usually picks up on drive problems.

Louis

#12 zippyzoe

zippyzoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2007 - 04:17 PM

Anymore info.....? Patiently waiting....

#13 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2007 - 05:02 PM

I have found that a bad BIOS (Motherboard) battery, or drive cable can cause similar problems. Actually I have seen a bad IDE cable being the problem more than once with our members. try swapping your CD cable with your hard drive cable just to eliminate that as a possible cause.
With a bad BIOS battery it will repeatedly lose the BIOS configuration files, and boot as if there is not hard drive or CD. The battery should be a standard CR-2032 battery.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#14 zippyzoe

zippyzoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2007 - 05:13 PM

I swapped the cables and no dice. I found the battery but I'm not sure how to get it out. I read on another help blog that removing the bios would reset the cmos which might solve my boot disk error. Anyone know about that?

Any info on how to check my harddrives?

Can I make a flash drive bootable??

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2007 - 06:31 PM

The CMOS battery can be tricky, depending on how it's installed.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=h...ve+CMOS+battery

Checking the status of all drives...always should start with their appearance (or lack thereof) in the BIOS, check of all connections, and checking proper appearance in XP Disk Management and My Computer.

Hard drives can be further tested by running chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console and by downloading/utilizing a diagnostic program from the respective HD manufacturer's website.

How To Run CHKDSK In XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q315265

Hard Disk Drive Diagnostics-Utilities - http://www.duxcw.com/faq/hd/diag.htm

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users