Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spybotsd Issue

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 23 November 2007 - 11:20 PM

I am doing my third scan with Spybot the first detected a few cookies and a couple of other malware, previously I detected with AdAware 112 Cookies and 2 other malware, . . . howver with spyBot I have had Incmplete scans attributed to user abort, I did not abort the scan I was not there for the last closing but my computer restarted.

The third scan is going on now, . . and have received the following but can not interpret it, can it be the reason for the false user abort reading ?

Posted Image

Also, If you can tell me what this might be and advise me it will be alot of help, and put me on the right track. Thanks.

Posted Image

Also, . .

I am preparing to do a HJT, and am going through the items in the, "Startup List", and am about to do the Bit Defender Scan, but, it says to uninstall, other Virus scans which of, I have four others, one of, McAfee Stinger, which I haven't used yet.

Would you reccomend an uninstall of these ?

Edited by Jove, 24 November 2007 - 01:00 AM.

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2007 - 01:04 AM

Are you running more than one antivirus on your computer? You should only run one. You can disable it and run Bitdefender, you don't have to uninstall it. But if you have more than one installed it can cause problems. Also have you tried uninstalling Spybot and reinstalling to see if there is some corrupt file in Spybot. Adaware is another good spyware scanner.
It's free

http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/

#3 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2007 - 01:15 AM

Following the Instruction in BC Start Here, the instruction are to D/L several Virus Scan Programs ?

It does not say to run them one at a time have I done something wrong ?

From Previous Post;

I am doing my third scan with Spybot the first detected a few cookies and a couple of other malware, previously I detected with AdAware 112 Cookies and 2 other malware, . . . howver with spyBot I have had Incmplete scans attributed to user abort, I did not abort the scan I was not there for the last closing but my computer restarted.

The third scan is going on now, . . and have received the following but can not interpret it, can it be the reason for the false user abort reading ?

Posted Image

Also, If you can tell me what this might be and advise me it will be alot of help, and put me on the right track. Thanks.

Posted Image

Concerning above I have found this;
Re: Windows Security Update Package - Windows and ZoneAlarm ...
You should allow - 'wextract_cleanup0' to run - this is a "normal" temp file that occurs with many Microsoft/ Windows updates and Windows Defender updates. You may also see this ...

forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=win_za_msgs&message.id=17188#M17188 Cached page
Show more results from forum.zonelabs.org

My question is what button do I push to restore this ?

Also, . .

I am preparing to do a HJT, and am going through the items in the, "Startup List", and am about to do the Bit Defender Scan, but, it says to uninstall, other Virus scans which of, I have four others, one of, McAfee Stinger, which I haven't used yet.

Would you reccomend an uninstall of these ?

Following the Instruction in BC Start Here, the instruction are to D/L several Virus Scan Programs ?

It does not say to run them one at a time have I done something wrong ?

Edited by Jove, 24 November 2007 - 02:24 AM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#4 nightspydk

nightspydk

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 24 November 2007 - 04:02 AM

You should never have more than one AV running at any given time.
You really don't need more than one AV.
You can have all the on-demand scans you want, but just the one running resident.

Hope that's what you are asking. :thumbsup:

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 24 November 2007 - 10:10 AM

If you are asking about the on-line scans, then please perform each one, one at a time, preferably in the order given. Be especially care to write down any error messages or problems encountered and report back.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2007 - 05:26 PM

In the StartUp List, I see, Adusermon, Avg, TeaTimer, but I don't see any of them using up any CPU in Task Manager.

Windows Firewall has been running during the scans, is this OK ? During scans I turned off Restore.

I have just experienced a shutdown and restart then an immediate restart, then another shut down immediately afterwards then a restart and here I am again.

There were some creaking sounds like maybe a steel ship would make in the bow and bilge, etc. the it stopped after a few seconds.

From Startup List ;Windows Firewall has been running during the scans, is this OK ? During scans I turned off the

I see AOL software checked in the Startup list, I no longer have this installed. When I uncheck something like this, am I then suppose to click disable ?

Also, in reporting scan log do you want to see all 100 + cookies, etc. ?

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#7 nightspydk

nightspydk

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2007 - 06:39 PM

You are using
start -> run -> msconfig
to disable startup applications?
Then you just need to untick, seleck OK and upon reboot, the program should not launch.

Check CTRL-ALT-DEL, to see if you got AOL processes running. If they are not there, then no problem.
The AOL software might not uninstall that easy. Have you done it through add/remove programs.
A registry cleaner would be a good idea to run after a uninstall.

You must run a software firewall like windows build-in firewall at all times, unless you disconnect from the internet.
That would be an idea, if you have a problem removing a virus or something.
Disconnect - reboot in safe mode (F8).
Try find another firewall. Zonealarm free is much better.

I don't know what you mean with the steel ship, so do elaborate on that specific issue.

Anyway this might give you a few answers.

*edited spelling etc

Edited by nightspydk, 24 November 2007 - 06:41 PM.

#8 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2007 - 07:43 PM

Thank you, yes there are some answers there for me, although I am not quite understanding the value of enable and disable yet in comparison with, "uncheck" and reboot.

The sounds that I was hearing, were a metalic, "creaking", sound like the case was warming up after it was cold, I doubt, that this is what it was, but it happened as I said, after a random complete close and restart, etc.

I have this occurence, (random crashes and restart), which happens not as many times as the random closing of, Windows Internet Explorer, so I have many red marked errors in my event log at this time,
however, . .these are the main reasons I am doing this virus and malware, (Start Here), routine and will be updating the OS soon, this may have some fixes for this problem, but I am still looking to find what causes the random crahes .

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#9 nightspydk

nightspydk

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2007 - 07:50 PM

You might have told me before, but y'know the best cure for a conditions like yours, is a reformat.
Even better is a complete wipe.
New partitions.
Format.
If you want any help with it, just let me know.
Going on and on about spyware.
You might actually save time this way.
No virus anything, not even a boot virus.
When your fresh to go, choose your apps carefully and not more than you need.

Hope you don't mind the advice. :thumbsup:

That sound i'd deal with that afterward, but then hopefully it's not there.

#10 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2007 - 09:12 PM

You might have told me before, but y'know the best cure for a conditions like yours, is a reformat.
Even better is a complete wipe.
New partitions.
Format.
If you want any help with it, just let me know.
Going on and on about spyware.
You might actually save time this way.
No virus anything, not even a boot virus.
When your fresh to go, choose your apps carefully and not more than you need.

Hope you don't mind the advice. :thumbsup:

That sound i'd deal with that afterward, but then hopefully it's not there.

Not at all, I would really like to know the difference between format and clean wipe, as I recently did a format using the manufacturers restore disk(s) for another computer here, Compaq Presario 4403US, . .

I am having some of the same problems with this (4403US), prior to the restore, ( one of them is it hangs on restart at, Saving Your Settings and does not shut down), .
I was not able to upgrade this restore WXPSP1 to WXPSP2, but can not recall the problem, I believe it is here in BC posted somewhere I will make an attempt at looking it up, I think it was a missing file and or driver, . .anyway,

I am not really sure about the disk at this point although it is a Windows Disk from MS, I am not having any luck with it and am not positive if it is the system or the disk, it also is the same disk that I used to update this 5300US, of course it contains a HD that I took out another computer, in any case I did the same for this, installed WXPSP1 from the 4403US manf. restore disks, but in this case,
I was able to upgrade using the WXPSP2 disk. in the processes of using it a couple of times to get the 4403US upgraded I am not sure if it is still dependable and or if it ever was I could run it through another install attempt on the 4403US ?

So if you would like to explain the benefits of a clean wipe in comparison to a HD format, . . (which I was unable to accomplish with the 4403US, as stated I used the restore disk), . .I will be glad to have it.

P.S.
Added on, Ref.;Disk Capablities, SP2 Upgrade Attempt on CP 4403US

Can I Re-install From A Wxp Service Pk-2 ?, To a formatted Local Disk (C:) Options Track this topic

I was able to get through the 3 disk WXP Sp1 installation, however as I was loading W Service pack 2, I ran into another problem during the extraction of files ;
This in first box;
Extracting File: i386\wind_w.ch_
To Directory c:\196cc8ec4758810e8b2b

Second small box Extraction Failed
red X ---- File is corrupt

I have also noticed same symptomns as before the initial installation ;
The system has recovered from a serious, etc,.

Carpserve has encountered a problem, etc.

Do I have any options here ?
------------------------------------------------

hamluis
Distinguished Member
Well...it seems to me that you don't have reliable disks...or you don't have a reliable system...and it's impossible to tell as I wade through your various posts.
You will continue just going in circles...until you eliminate one or the other. That's how I see it.
Louis

If I have a good result with a clean wipe on the 4403US then I could try it on this 5300US ?

Edited by Jove, 24 November 2007 - 09:27 PM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#11 nightspydk

nightspydk

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2007 - 09:52 PM

@Jove

PM about a clean install sent. :thumbsup:

#12 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2007 - 10:34 PM

Scan Log as Requested by Iqweed,

I am not sure exactly how this works but here goes;
Log File;

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\logs\Ad-Aware 20071123 18-07-45.log.xml

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#13 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2007 - 12:19 AM

You are using
start -> run -> msconfig
to disable startup applications?
Then you just need to untick, seleck OK and upon reboot, the program should not launch.

*edited spelling etc

I just restarted and went to run>msconfig>services, here i decided to uncheck an Iomega App Services,
when I did so, I got the messages seen below, my questions is ;
Why am I going to be regarded by Systems Configuaration Utility as Selective service ? I have not chose this status.

Is this choosing it for me ?

Posted Image

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users