Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Page File

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ataryu

Ataryu

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 12 July 2004 - 04:54 PM

From my understanding your page file is whats used when your memory maxes out and there is no spare memory to be used. I was wondering if its normal for your page file to be used when your memory is barely being used. Like right now I am running MMBJ and Mozilla, and I am only using 55% of my memory, but my page file remains at 50 % Is this normal? The only other program I have run today is kazaa lite, but I exited out and its no longer running.

Another question I had was if it was normal for your computer to kind of lag....or take a while to react when your CPU usage is at 1-15% It happens sometimes when I am maximizing something or opening a window. Could it possibly be a video card problem...or is it just one of those un explainable things that just happens. Its not a big problem its just annoying. IMO it should only take a second or 2 not like 5. But sometimes it will act like it has to load a whole other program when its only maximizing one thats already open...its weird.

Thanx for your help :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 QuaGon

QuaGon

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2004 - 05:54 PM

wots ur system specs, ive noticed older PCs slow down if XP is on because of the resources it takes up

#3 Ataryu

Ataryu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2004 - 06:11 PM

Specs? Well I just bought it last year, so it can't be that old. Its an hp pavillian a210n.

Info:

celeron CPU .50GHz
248MP of RAM
Intel Graphics Controller 64 MB I think its integrated....lol

I need to get a job and update my hardware :|

I use freemeter to monitor my CPU, memory, and page file usage.

#4 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 July 2004 - 10:10 AM

yes it is normal and good windows is using your swapfile in conjuction with your ram. It needs to do that even though it is slower. As for the delays it is just one of those things that sometimes cant be explained or just way to many things to read through. In my sig you can disable alot of your stuff in xp to get some more reosurces back and speed you pc up alot or a little.

Or blackviper.com if you dont feel like clickin :thumbsup:

And here is a handy dandy windows cleaner(the best out there)

http://cleanup.stevengould.org/

Edited by brunt, 18 July 2004 - 10:12 AM.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2004 - 11:26 AM

At 2.5GH, your processor is adequate, but 256K RAM is somewhat low since WindowsXP takes a lot of memory just to run. Increasing your RAM to 512 might improve performance and eliminate some of the lags.
Some sort of maintenance schedule will also help:--- Getting rid of garbage such as old files, cleaning out your temp files, etc, followed by scandisk and defragging on a regular basis is recommended.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 Ataryu

Ataryu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2004 - 06:12 PM

Thanx for your help guys. I maintain my comp pretty well IMO. I defrag all the time, and im always cleaing out my files. I will check out those links in your sig ;) Thanx.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users