Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FAT32

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 trickydick

trickydick

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 20 February 2005 - 01:53 PM

Was reading about fat32 and NTFS and apparently fat32 is the older system yet I have WinXP and whenever I get the "Windows was not shut down correctly" blue screen it states I have fat32. Can I change this to NTFS?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2005 - 04:27 PM

Hi td

If you want to use NTFS you will have to reinstall XP. NTFS and Fat32 refer to the procedure that formats the drive and creates the file system so to change over you will need to format your drive.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 20 February 2005 - 08:05 PM

Was reading about fat32 and NTFS and apparently fat32 is the older system yet I have WinXP and whenever I get the "Windows was not shut down correctly" blue screen it states I have fat32.  Can I change this to NTFS?

Yes, you can. Was this an upgrade from Win 98 or some other operating system? Normally, a clean install of XP will use the NTFS filesystem.

Just to make sure you actually have FAT32, go to My Computer and right-click on your C: drive and choose Properties. Towards the top of the window, under Label, you should see the filesystem type.

Be advised that you need to have a lot of free space for the conversion process, and the NTFS filesystem takes up more space than the FAT32 system does.

Also be advised that it is nearly impossible to convert back to FAT32 - it can probably be done with Partition Magic.

Also be advised that your machine might slow down a bit when you convert.

Also keep in mind that you will no longer be able to access the file system with FAT32 - I repaired an XP computer once by deleting unnecessary files using a 98 Boot Disk, which would have been impossible in NTFS.

And, based upon some of the complaints I've seen around the internet, the process can fail.

However, if you still wish to do it, reference this Microsoft Article and good luck!

The advantage of NTFS is that it is a stronger journaling filesystem, with backup information that prevents lost chains of data.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2005 - 08:28 PM

Thanks for jumping in Herk, didn't know that. Still learning about XP obviously. Sounds like a risky procedure at best. Do you think it has enough advantages to take the chance?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 20 February 2005 - 08:40 PM

Thanks for jumping in Herk, didn't know that. Still learning about XP obviously. Sounds like a risky procedure at best. Do you think it has enough advantages to take the chance?

I think I'd prefer NTFS to FAT32. And I think it would be worth converting. However, I wouldn't convert until I had everything backed up, including my cookies and my favorites and my email and so on, and be prepared to reinstall should a disaster occur. But then, that's good advice even if you aren't converting. :thumbsup:

I'm learning all the time, and still have a long way to go.

#6 trickydick

trickydick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2005 - 10:07 PM

I found this article that seems to show the switch would be easy....almost too easy.

http://www.ntfs.com/quest3.htm

Q: Is it possible to convert a FAT32 Hard Drive to NTFS without losing all data on the drive? I like to change from FAT32 to NTFS, my operating system is Windows XP PRO, how can I do that? Without the lost of my programs?

A: Standard Windows utility that is called CONVERT serves this purpose

Just go to the Command Prompt and execute the command:

C:\> CONVERT  C:  /fs:ntfs

Where C: is a name of the drive you want to convert.

After machine re-boot conversion process will start and you'll have your FAT32 converted to NTFS without of data loss.

Is it really this simple? Would the same apply to XP Home?
Would the difference be worth it? Sorry for all the questions but was reading that FAT32 was old system and soon-to-be-obsolete. Should I change if it is this easy?

EDIT: XP came installed on computer.
Thanks
Tricky

Edited by trickydick, 20 February 2005 - 10:09 PM.

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2005 - 10:19 PM

I don't think Fat32 will be obsolete anytime soon. Simply too many people still using it. MS will continue to support 98 with critical updates into 2006 so you can bet people will still be using it a few years beyond that.

XP came installed on computer.

In case there is a problem do you have the XP CD? Is this a computer that uses restore disks like a Dell or HP and if so do you have them? Is this a Compaq with the operating system restore on a hidden partition?

#8 trickydick

trickydick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2005 - 10:23 PM

I have restore disk. It is a future shop model, Cicero.

#9 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 20 February 2005 - 10:32 PM

When I reload windows I reformat, load my win98, then upgrade with my winXP pro CD.
I always face the decision about FAT32 & NTFS due to my process.
As mentioned, each computer may need slightly different
steps to accomplish the same end results.

I'm simply saying, I choose NTFS, understanding that my off-computer CDs
with GB's of data are now all NTFS, simply by preference.
I have read good articles about the difference(s)
Another one, in addition to previously mentioned
ones, is NTFS allows longer filenames.

BTW
What occurs is that one of the first steps
of the upgrade to winXP in the
typical sequence od events
is a short (5 minute)
conversion.

Again, some extra space may indeed be needed to
accomplish the task, but conversion is rather routine
from what my experience with it has been.

I expect that your restore disks are set up to do the task as simply as I have experienced with the Windows CD(s).
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#10 trickydick

trickydick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2005 - 10:36 PM

Are there programs that will run with NTFS but not FAT32? I have no problems with FAT32 so i'm reluctant to change unless I really should. I don't really have any huge programs and I read that NTFS might seem slow for the smaller stuff.

Thanks
Tricky

#11 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2005 - 10:44 PM

I have a relatively "slow" computer.
1.73 Ghz processor, 512 MB RAM.
I use 160 GB HD(s) 1 40GB & 1 120GB.
I transfer files quite a bit.
.jpeg & mp3, .doc , .xls , .slc , .rtf are
some of the prevalant file extensions.

I never found it to be slow(er) than FAT32.
i sometimes move several hundred at a time...

And the programs seem to be
(though I may be wrong) more
concerned with the operating system's
other design components more
than the file system.

Edited by phawgg, 20 February 2005 - 10:45 PM.

#12 trickydick

trickydick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2005 - 10:52 PM

So if I understand correctly FAT32 is fine for what I do. Basically surfing and Office stuff, pictures, nothing huge. I'm sorry if I seem dense but I'm just wondering if I should switch to the new technology or "if it ain't broke...."

#13 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2005 - 11:08 PM

I'd vote to leave it alone. Unless you are looking for an adventure that may or may not happen. At some point you will no doubt want to reinstall your OS so you could convert then.

I'm wondering if the programs would need to be reinstalled after a conversion like that.

phawgg

Why do you load 98 first? I have been told that an upgrade CD is a full version and the only reason you need a previous operating system CD is to provide proof of ownership of that previous version. In other words, you start the XP install and briefly insert the 98 CD when asked.

#14 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2005 - 01:22 AM

I certainly have room for improvement in my procedures.
In fact the last reloads were done with an eye on improving
the speed of it & monitoring the patch installs.
The SP2, off disk second time, I took the opportunity
to screenshoot every file loaded.

Meaning I have a 1.5GB .jeg file mirroring
winXP pro complete with no additional drivers
or software of any kind.
Then the same after SP2.
no win98, but I'm considering doing that the next time
to document the exact changes taking place when I upgrade
and those operating system files are modified.

Add to that my undone work with slipstreaming & slimming.
So, I say... after making room for Linux
(I left an unpartitioned space, but it's on the secondary drive)
and all it will entail for me to learn it...
I will add cognizance of your question when,
as you advised, I reload
next time.

I'd vote to leave it alone. Unless you are looking for an adventure that may or may not happen. At some point you will no doubt want to reinstall your OS so you could convert then.

~ one who adventures, yet can't always risk failure entirely.
Generally concentrating on priorities, not necessarily everything all the time.

:thumbsup:

#15 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2005 - 04:40 AM

I converted my file system from the FAT32 to the NFTS system and i didn't like it. My Canon MPC190 all-in-one printer would not work on the file system and my PC ran a lot slower than normal. A couple of my programs wouldn't work either.

My system is...
Pentium4 2.8Ghz
512mb ram
80GB hardrive
128mb graphics/video/3D
that's all i know.

unfortunately you can't undo the transformation of the system, i ended re-installing windows XP Home. and left it the old FAT32.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users