Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 fas8253

fas8253

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 23 November 2007 - 04:56 PM

I have a 7 year old HP computer with Windows ME. There is nothing wrong with it except it won't run I-tunes and there are no fixes or updates for ME.
I am thinking about upgrading to XP. What would I need to do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 23 November 2007 - 06:07 PM

The minimum hardware requirements for Windows XP Home Edition are:
Pentium 233-megahertz (MHz) processor or faster (300 MHz is recommended)
At least 64 megabytes (MB) of RAM (128 MB is recommended)<-- (which is a joke. I suggest 512 MB minimum)
At least 1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available space on the hard disk
CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive
Keyboard and a Microsoft Mouse or some other compatible pointing device
Video adapter and monitor with Super VGA (800 x 600)or higher resolution
Sound card
Speakers or headphones

System requirements for Windows XP operating systems
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,536 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2007 - 09:47 PM

Of course those are Microsoft's recommendations. Every one else, that lives in reality, knows that wont fly!
800 mhx processor or greater 1 gig+ recommended
256 megs mimimum. 512 recommended.
System specs or model # would be helpful.

Dont pour money into upgrading an old computer. You still end up with an old computer!
Dell is still shipping XP (thank GOD!) and their systems are cheap this time of year.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 fas8253

fas8253
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 24 November 2007 - 12:52 PM

I have an HP Pavilion 7840 with an Intel 766 MHz processor. It came with 64M Ram which I upgraded to 124 just after Igotit. Has a 30 Gig ultra DMA hard drive.

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,536 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2007 - 01:42 PM

It would work but might be slow.
Might have compatibility issues with devices and installed software like games, cd burning software, antivirus etc.
Do a lot of research before you do this.

The best way to install any verion of windows is a "clean install." That means format the hard drive and reinstall everything from scratch. Is it worth it?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,042 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 24 November 2007 - 10:09 PM

With those spec you can expect to be able to click on an application and then have enough time to not just go and get a cup of coffee but to make it as well while you are waiting. I would look to see if I could find a copy of W2k which isn't quite the resource hog and is still supported by M$. You are still going to be slow with that processor speed and the low amount of RAM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users