Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox Question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 locally pwned

locally pwned

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 23 November 2007 - 04:27 PM

Say you want to reformat your machine; also, let's just say for a moment that you happen to be a bit excessive when it comes to the structure of your browser's bookmarks.

Is there any way to import your bookmarks into a fresh install of Firefox so I don't have to re-enter all of them one at a time?

I thought about just saving the entire dir and running the .exe from that, but a browser would loose functionality without fresh registry files.

I looked through the directory, I don't see anything obvious. I wondered if the bookmarks were held in the "greprefs" folder...perhaps I could just overwrite that folder onto the new install?

Thanks in advance...

(Moderator edit: Thread moved to more appropriate forum. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 23 November 2007 - 09:12 PM.

"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nightspydk

nightspydk

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 23 November 2007 - 05:13 PM

Documents settings - user name - application data - mozilla.....
Locate bookmarks.bak.
Copy and import into your new Firfox installation.
Bookmarks - arrange bookmarks - Files - import.
Structure should be keep intakt.

PS - You might have to make a few adjustments to it, since the default bookmarks are keept after the migration. Shouldn't be a big problem.

Edited by nightspydk, 23 November 2007 - 05:23 PM.

#3 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 23 November 2007 - 05:32 PM

To make it really easy, install FEBE, and backup your Firefox extensions.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 23 November 2007 - 06:29 PM

To make it even easier, yet,

Navigate to:
C:\ Documents and Settings \ "your user name" \ Application Data \ Mozilla \ Firefox \ Profiles
Make a copy of the Profiles folder, and save it to a CD.

Reformat your computer, then reinstall Firefox.
Locate the new Profiles folder, and delete it.
Replace it with the old Profiles folder, that you copied, and saved.
Open the Profile folder, and copy the name of the default folder.
It'll be random numbers, followed by .default

Click Back, and open the profiles.ini file, in Notepad.
At the bottom, you'll see see, Path=Profiles/xxxxx.default (the x's are random numbers)
The xxxxx.default, is the name of the default file, in the Profile folder you just deleted.
Replace xxxxx.default, with the one you just made a copy of.
At the top, click File, and select Save.
Exit out of Notepad.

Now when you open Firefox, you should have all of your settings, passwords, extensions, etc., just like it was, before the reformat.

The same thing works for Thunderbird, if you use that as you mail client.
It'll retain all of your Mail, settings, everything.

Sounds complicated, but it's not.

Edited by tg1911, 23 November 2007 - 06:49 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 locally pwned

locally pwned
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 23 November 2007 - 06:44 PM

Thanks a lot folks... :thumbsup:
"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

#6 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 24 November 2007 - 05:40 AM

Firefox also has an add-on called "Foxmarks Bookmark Synchroniser " which amongst other things stores all your bookmarks online which would suit your purpose.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users