Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 mummsie39

mummsie39

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 23 November 2007 - 02:27 PM

Hi
You have helped me in the past so hopefully you can help again :thumbsup:

Every time I shut down the computer I notice there are updates to install on turn off but it shuts down and does not update so I see this every time I turn off the computer. You guys helped me recently with a issue I had with this machine every thing seemed okay but we figured there was not enough ram ( i found i had 256mb) I have since added another 256 and the machine is back to running as fast as when I first got it. However it keeps telling me Windows needs to increase the virtual memory is that normal, and the update issue I'm hoping you might have some adivce on this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 23 November 2007 - 02:46 PM

Hi mummsie39.

Have a look here - Hold down the WINLOGO key (between the CTRL and ALT keys) and push the PAUSE key (top right). This will bring up the System Properties box. Click on ADVANCED then performance SETTINGS.

Click on ADVANCED and Virtual memory CHANGE.

Make sure your C: drive is selected and click on the CUSTOM button. Put 768 in both the INITIAL and MAX boxes, click SET then all the OKs. (This figure is 1.5x your physical RAM which should be adequate for a fixed paging file on your hard drive).

Reboot your computer and you should be all fixed.

Open INTERNET EXPLORER and click on TOOLS/WINDOWS UPDATE and follow all the prompts. Any downloads which are waiting on your PC will not be downloaded again but any extras will. Follow the prompts and see what happens. (Click on the updates notification and install the updates before shutting down your PC).

Let us know how you get on.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

(PS. It is a good idea to go to MY CONTROLS/EDIT PROFILE INFORMATION and put in all your System Specs that you know. Doing this allows members to help you better by knowing what you have and giving you more relevant info. The above info is for XP which I am assuming you have).

Edited by rowal5555, 23 November 2007 - 03:27 PM.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#3 mummsie39

mummsie39
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2007 - 04:08 PM

Hi rowal5555
Thank you for suck a quick reply and thank you that seems to have resolved my issue. I had my updates set to install at 3:00 am but I have been shutting the computer down at 11 every night so I changed the time and should not have that issue again. I also edited my profile for future reference. Have a great weekend

:thumbsup:

#4 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2007 - 04:50 PM

That's great mummsie39.

It's always nice to get feedback. Thank you.

Have a great day. :thumbsup:

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#5 mummsie39

mummsie39
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2007 - 11:39 AM

Grr well the virtual memory problem is good but my windows still won't update when I check the log it gives me error message 0X8007FODA I tried the microsoft fix to change the file name but it won,t allow the change Im quite worried because allo my critical updates are behind please help.

#6 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2007 - 04:42 PM

That's no good, mummsie39.

We will hope that a more knowledgable reader may have some info for you.

The only thing I can suggest now, is that you ring your local MicroSoft. They offer free help for update problems.

Good luck.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 06 December 2007 - 05:09 PM

About the updates, the first question to ask is have you recently done a repair install of XP?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 mummsie39

mummsie39
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2007 - 06:25 PM

No I have not done any repairs to the installation of XP the only thing I have done recenlty is to install more memory

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 06 December 2007 - 09:06 PM

As dumb as this sounds, is the time at the lower right hand corner correct? If the times aren't correct, they won't install. Here's a few things to check for
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 06 December 2007 - 09:06 PM

OK...my first question is...is SP2 installed on this system that won't update?

Question 2: If not, why not?

Question 3: Is this a legit install of XP?

As for auto updating...generally, the exit screen presents an option to just turn the system off or to update and then turn the system off.

If I elect to just turn it off, those updates occur the next morning when I boot up. So...the time set for install really only comes into play when the system is off at that time. If I have set a time when the system is off, I just do a manual update by visiting the WinUpdate site the next day.

Louis

#11 mummsie39

mummsie39
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 12:55 AM

Yes I have SP2 and it is a legit windows I had no problems updating until Nov 13 and now when I shut down it shows the update waiting but it never updates I have tried to manually update and get the same error message. I have gone on the Microsoft help section and their solution is to go into system32 and change a file name but I am unable to change the name the error message is 0X8007FODC. As I said before I added more memory and had my power box thingy changed but I don't see how those could affect the update process. I will try to contact Microsoft again about this issue>

#12 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 10 December 2007 - 06:13 PM

Don't know if you have found a resolution to the issue yet, but this article might offer assistance for you:

http://www.theeldergeek.com/sp1_no_access_autoupdate.htm

I know you have indicated that you have already installed SP2, but the info here might be worth a shot.
Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

#13 mummsie39

mummsie39
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2007 - 01:03 PM

Well I have been in touch with Microsoft their trouble shooting didn't help so I am waiting for a reply from them and your link was a very similar solution except the file Windows Update folder does not exist in my program files what does that mean grrrr :thumbsup: :flowers:

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 12 December 2007 - 07:03 PM

Is Windows Update the only function of your O/S not working properly?

If you've reached Desperation Time, it might be time to consider a repair install...which would send you back to Square One for all updates post SP2.

If you elect a repair, be sure to use a CD that has SP2 already included or you won't be able to immediately access the WinUpdate site for critical updates.

Louis

#15 mummsie39

mummsie39
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2007 - 11:30 AM

Yes the Windows Update is the only function on my OS not working. I don't have a clue as to how to do a repair install however I do have all the recovery disks when I first purchased this computer. The windows xp came preinstalled. Microsoft sent me another set of instructions for trying to repair this problem so I will try that solution before I consider reinstalling windows ( would that me I lose all my personal data?)

Edited by mummsie39, 13 December 2007 - 11:32 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users