Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE crashes

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 myzr

myzr

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 20 February 2005 - 12:14 PM

error message
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v729/myz...crashscreen.gif
I have a problem that causes IE to pop up this screen. It do happen enough to make me bleep.Microsoft says install all updates and use anti virus and spyware. I do all that but the problem remains.
I am running winme. ie6sp1. my security apps say that I am clean but maybe need to run hyjack this to be sure? any and all thoughts and reply's will be greatly appreciated.
also trying to insert a screen shot into this post and not showing up in preview. message says ie has to close sorry and send report!
lm 10730

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 20 February 2005 - 12:27 PM

Hmm . . . I've had the same problem, but don't remember what I did to solve it. However, I would try to disable script debugging and see if that works.

Start IE

Go to Tools -> Internet Options

Choose the Advanced tab and find the entry for "Disable Script Debugging" and uncheck it. It's under the "Browsing" section.

Restart Windows and see if that helps.

#3 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2005 - 12:27 PM

Hi Myzr, that popup must be annoying. I have WinME also and am wondering when this first began. You always have the option to do a System Restore. I'm leaning more towards that than a HJT log. Script errors and the popup like you receive are more of an internal type of thing. It wouldn't typically be caused by a worm or virus or spyware like the HJT log would point out. You could try a HJT log to be on the safe side and I sure wouldn't hold you from doing that. But I think you could solve it easier and quicker with a System Restore.
To do that, go to Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. It's best to do this in Safe Mode offline but not a requirement.
Periodically, your computer takes a snapshot of your entire system when things are running smoothly. System Restore records these dates and places them on a calendar. All you want to do is to select a recent date before this problem began.
Then reboot and see if your problem is gone. Let me know what you decide and what the results turn out to be.
Good luck!
~67~

#4 myzr

myzr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2005 - 12:42 PM

Herk & texas angel.. thanks for thew reply's
System restore gets used alot on this poor old amd500 pc.. problem started when I started using IE exclusively, I had been using netscape 7 and it was doing the same thing. that was also before I was aware of what problems came with high speed Internet connection. I had no firewall and no spyware apps.
I will try to uncheck the debugging scripts and reboot.
lm 10730

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2005 - 04:51 PM

You might also attempt to REPAIR good old IE. The easiest way is to go to your add/delete programs, and try to delete it; this will bring up the option to repair it.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 myzr

myzr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2005 - 07:18 PM

John.. Thanks have tried that also. No luck. I leave my pc on 24/7 and today I went to a nascar party and left IE on my home page msn. when we returned after the party the annoyance was waiting for me. The thing is I started IE back up and clicked on fav's and logged on to BC and everything is good. Suppose I will just have to live with it. Maybe time to try the foxfire

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v729/myz...crashscreen.gif

Edited by myzr, 20 February 2005 - 07:47 PM.

lm 10730

#7 myzr

myzr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2005 - 12:34 AM

to all... ran the fix IE. then windows updates and no error for 3 days! sure hope this lasts.
lm 10730

#8 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2005 - 10:54 AM

myzr: Hope you continue problem free. For whatever reason, I'm unable to download and install IE6 without something in the process screwing up my OS (W98SE) to the point where I have to go thru the ugly process of a full system restore. Don't know why, probably cause I'm a klutz with a Compaq. The experts here at BC are the best; listen to them. And be sure to read the BC tutorials about firewalls, AV, and malware software.
For whatever it's worth, I switched to Firefox a couple of months ago and have yet to have a problem...the only BSOD's I see now are in screenshots posted here @ BC :thumbsup:
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

#9 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2005 - 11:25 AM

This is just a wild guess. But does anyone think that the error message he is receiving has something to do with Windows Messenger Service? And I do not mean the Windows Instant Messenger.

Or am I off base?

I have ME and used to receive these messages. And have since disabled Windows Messenger Service. This was a long time ago. So I do not remember if one had anything to do with the other.

Edited by scarlett, 24 February 2005 - 11:42 AM.

Posted Image

#10 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2005 - 11:42 AM

Scarlett, from what I have researched about Windows Messenger the past few months, it only affects Windows NT/2000/2003/XP. I don't recall my problem months ago but someone suggested I get that KillTheMessenger thing and of course it didn't work since that wasn't the problem. But I did double check now and it's not an issue for 95/98/ME.

#11 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2005 - 11:49 AM

Lol ~67~ Maybe I am imagining this. I could of sworn that I disabled it on my ME. I did used to get this same message. Concerning the sending a error report to MSN.

I wish I could remember what I did (if anything) to stop this from occuring. All I know is that it has been a long, long while since I have received these type of messages.

Edited by scarlett, 24 February 2005 - 12:12 PM.

Posted Image

#12 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2005 - 12:17 PM

LOL
I know what you mean, I don't always remember how I fix things either. Especially if it's been more than a month or two - senility ya know, :thumbsup: .
And I'm glad myzr is all fixed up (knock on wood) as well.

:flowers: I think that program is called ShootTheMessenger. See what I mean about senility? lol

#13 myzr

myzr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2005 - 01:07 AM

twinsdad. Another day without an error message popping up and closing my IE window. Boy howdy, I could get used to this. I do agree with you about this site. Some very good info to be had here! Also a very friendly place. I have been looking at the startup database, very interesting. :thumbsup:
lm 10730

#14 itineran

itineran

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2005 - 05:55 AM

You could block pop-ups by installing a Pop-up blocker. There are some freeware Pop-up blocker programs that you could download at either; www.downloads.com or www.zdnet.com

Windows XP allows the operator to prevent pop-ups from specific web sites.

#15 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2005 - 10:47 AM

myzr: Firefox has a built-in pop-up blocker which IMHO is at least as effective as that provided on the Google toolbar or similar freeware.
There is a BC Tutorial about switching to Firefox here. I'm a klutz, but the switch to Firefox was painless; took me less than 10 minutes and that included customizing their browser with all sorts of goodies...something I was never able to do with IE. And lastly, you'll not lose IE by making Firefox your default browser...IE will still be on your desktop if you should ever need it.
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users