Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question About A Microsoft Download

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 23 November 2007 - 09:43 AM

I just downloaded the newest version of Java.

I re-booted my computer and got a security alert that Microsoft was trying to download this program :

http://www.microsoft.com/forefront/edgesecurity/iag/faq.mspx

I blocked it for now until I had a chance to read up on it.

I am still not certain if I need this program installed or not.

My computer crashed last week and I had to start from scratch. ( new hard drive, new XP install, etc;)

I do not want to add anything unnecessary ( or dangerous) to my computer.

Is this something that I need ?

Thanks for your time.

Dennis :thumbsup: Windows XP Home, SP-2, IE-7

Edited by Dennis H, 23 November 2007 - 07:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 seedsofchaos

seedsofchaos

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2007 - 02:09 PM

I don't believe that you will need it (especially just for general computing needs like web browsing and such) but I don't think that it will hurt anything whatsoever.

#3 webwizard

webwizard

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 26 November 2007 - 03:11 PM

checked out the faq's link you provided - seems to have come down with Java somehow (some things I'll never understand) but it seems that installing this as per seedsofchaos mentioned should not harm as such
but is there a need for it? its an additional MS application to replace thier current policies server to improve user access rights and policy administration functionality - for home pc's i can't imagine this being much of a priority for you.
I did not go deep into it, but you may find that some experience in User Policy Management would be required to avail of MS module...
hope this helps

i also just noticed there that this is NOT a free download - it is purchase only...

#4 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2007 - 05:05 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I going to pass on it.

Dennis :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic