Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Has Ruined Everything

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 discos_dead

discos_dead

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 23 November 2007 - 09:07 AM

My hard drive is smoked (a long story, tried many things to fix it - just get clicking, and nothing even acknowledges that the disk exists) and Compaq did not provide system disks (to be fair, they strongly suggested that I create them, but, being a foolish optimist, I did not). So, I bought a new Seagate hard drive (PATA 100 - 320 Gigs, 16 MB cache) and installed it, and bought a new copy of Windows XP. Now the computer boots, but MANY things don't work - no sound, no internet, no modem found, no Direct X drivers found, etc. I chatted with HP support, who recommended that I download drivers. The modem driver, for example, failed to load (after download on another PC, burning a CD and trying to install). VERY frustrating. Shelled out about $300 for new drive and Windows XP, would like to repair this system, but am so frustrated I'm considering just buying a new tower. Any magic bullets out there to fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nightspydk

nightspydk

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 23 November 2007 - 09:13 AM

It would seem you need to install some motherboard drivers.
They are usually found at the manufacturers home page.
If the sound/nic is onboard, that should do the trick.
In any case, you need drivers to run that hardware.
Directx is included with most games. Just browse a game dvd. Locate dxsetup.exe and run that.

Hope that'll get you somewhere. :thumbsup:

edit
If you want me to try locate it for you, I need the full model name of the motherboard including a revision number if you got that.

Edited by nightspydk, 23 November 2007 - 09:20 AM.

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 23 November 2007 - 09:36 AM

first off compaq might have used several different modems in your line/model/family, you would either have to pull the modem to identify it or download any and all drivers

your computer should be listed with xp drivers on their web site

compaq should have offered to send you recovery cd's for a fee, since you already paid for an xp oem
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 discos_dead

discos_dead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2007 - 10:42 AM

Thanks. HP does make recovery disks available - I ordered a set the day before yesterday. However, even with FedEx next day it takes about 3 days to get here (Thanksgiving, plus I live in the middle of nowhere), and I was losing patience. Regarding the computer, I did try to install DirectX again, but got an error message regarding a missing component. When I tried to install the modem driver, it went through the process, finished, and the message said that installation had failed.

I just looked up the specs for the motherboard (see below). I'll check for any possible help from HP, but I'll probably go into town because I have dial-up here so to download you'd better pack breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Motherboard
Manufacturer: Asus
Motherboard Name: A8N-LA
HP/Compaq motherboard name: Nagami-GL8E

from: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/generic...=reg_R1002_USEN

Thanks again!

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2007 - 11:48 AM

if you linked to the right model

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...849&lang=en

windows xp sp2 would need the chipset drivers first

the video and audio are almost 100 megs
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2007 - 06:07 PM

What version is this "new copy of XP"? There are several and they are not all the same. The original version is minus SP1 and SP2, the 2d version is minus SP2 but includes SP1, and the 3d version is current thru SP2.

If it's not XP SP2, then your first concern should be to update to SP2, then go to the WinUpdate site for other critical updates.

Louis

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2007 - 07:41 PM

If you get the recovery cd's in time, they'll save you an enormous amount of time trying to locate the drivers (since the drivers are built into the recovery cd's).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 23 November 2007 - 08:47 PM

Check this link, HP Identifying Your Model, the look up the XP drivers by the actual model number if you still want to try before you get the recovery discs.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users