Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Connection

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 donga11

donga11

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 23 November 2007 - 03:55 AM

Hi all, I have a home computer which is on broadband and i have a linksys wireless router which allows my sons computer to work in his room. I have an Acer laptop which i dont use often. However the other day it would not connect to the wireless network.
I ended up doing a full system restore to factory conditions. This is done by pressing Alt and F10 at startup.
Now it wont see my linksys router. It is seeing other networks near to my home but not mine. My sons computer is ok and my PDA is ok and works off it.
The computer is supposed to just search for networks and then i should be able to connect but its just not seeing the linksys.
any ideas would be great.
Thanks
just to add i am able to connect to an unsecure connection near my home so i know the computer is working ok

Mod Edit: Topic moved to more appropriate forum~ TMacK

Edited by TMacK, 23 November 2007 - 12:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 seedsofchaos

seedsofchaos

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 26 November 2007 - 02:16 PM

I'm not sure the exact reason why you wouldn't be able to see your Linksys router unless broadcasting was turned off on the router, MAC filtering was set up on the router, or if the router is out of range.

Sometimes, depending on the material surrounding the router, a router will not be recognized as being in range. Where is it located in the house? Were you always able to connect to it in the past with no problems?

I would also log into the router to see what's going on there. Usually the default IP (to type into your web browser and reach the router config page) is 192.168.1.1. You could use one of the computers that is connected to the router to do this.

Try to make sure that broadcasting is on/enabled.

Also if MAC filtering is setup then you will have to enter that computer's (the one that isn't working) wireless adapter/card's MAC address.

You can find this by opening a command prompt window on that computer (Start -> Run -> type "cmd" -> hit ENTER) and then type in "ipconfig /all"

It will show you the MAC address (Physical address) for the different components. You will find your wireless card/adapter's physical address and will need to write it down and put that info into the router. Again this is ONLY necessary IF MAC filtering has been set up on the router.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users