Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crashed Os

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mmoore4

mmoore4

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 23 November 2007 - 01:33 AM

I was recently infected with the Trojan.zoneback viris. I posted a HJT log to the malware forum and was getting help from SifuMike. I was following his suggestions when I ran into trouble (no fault of his). He told me post here and mention that no malware was found.

This is what happened…

I downloaded the newest version of Java and deleted the old versions. However, during that time I also right-clicked on the spybot icon in the system tray and closed it from there. After I deleted all of the old Java versions, I downloaded the CCleaner and installed it. I did not run it as instructed. I then opened up spybot and followed the directions per the link SifuMike gave to disable teatimer. After I did this multiple spybot windows opened that warned of changes to the registry. These windows stalled and were “not responding”. The link noted that the computer needed to be restarted for the changes to take effect. Since the computer was stalled and I needed to restart the computer anyway, I restarted the computer from the start menu. This failed. A window opened- “Windows Installer”. This failed to install whatever it was trying to install and a new window opened. New window- “Windows needs to install ‘vptray’ and insert disk now. I could not get out of this set of windows. I would select cancel install and the same windows would open up. At this point I did a hard reset. In retrospect, this was probably not a good idea. The OS failed to load and went to black screen. I did another hard reset and the “windows failed to close properly” screen appeared. I opted to open windows in safety mode. This started and failed at “Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)windows\system32\drivers\agp440.sys” with a black screen background. After 40 minutes I did another hard reset. I am emailing you now from my laptop. I also tried to start from the most recent working configuration and that failed too.

What should I do next?

Mmoore4

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 23 November 2007 - 01:43 AM

You could try doing a repair with the installation CD. What make and model is this computer?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 syunichi

syunichi

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 23 November 2007 - 02:49 AM

Yes, that would be my first try also.

a) Get a WinXP cd and reboot as windows installation.
b. Do a repair window...not the one that includes reinstallation. The one with a DOS based repair mode.
c) After the prompt, type chkdsk /f or if the /f doesnt work, just do a chkdsk
d) Type bootcfg /rebuild and do this :

* Prompt for the identified versions of Windows installed. When you receive this prompt press Y if the bootcfg command properly identified each of the Windows operating systems installed on the computer. It is important to realize this command will only detect Windows XP, Windows 2000, and Windows NT installations.

* Prompt to enter the load identifier. This is the name of the operating system for the boot.ini. For example, Microsoft Windows XP Home users would enter "Microsoft Windows XP Home edition". I would put WinXP Repaired to make sure I wont pick the old boot.

* Prompt to Enter OS load options. When this prompt is received type /fastdetect to automatically detect the available options.

Finally type exit to reboot the computer.

I hope this helps and good luck to you.
:thumbsup:
Posted Image

Tech Support: "Do you have any windows open right now?"
Customer: "Are you crazy woman, it's twenty below outside..."

#4 thisismydisplayname

thisismydisplayname

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2007 - 05:38 AM

Try booting with Last Known Good Configuration (which should be able to be accessed the same you access Safe Mode), if you haven't. What that does is use the backup of the registry created the last time you was successfully able to log on to your computer. It sounds like something possibly screwed up in the registry with Tea Timer while installing, so this might work.

I would reccomend trying this before anything else. If you are able to log on once, it will make a new backup of the registry, replacing the registry backup from before you tried to install the new Java.

Once you are able to log on, I reccomend you making a backup of the registry anyways, and emailing it to yourself, or putting it on some sort of removeable media (so you know you have it, and can reinstall it if need be, if it works.) You can do that by going to run, typing in "regedit", click "File" and then "Export" and it will create an entire backup of your registry. (Double clicking it WILL change your entire registry to what is inside this file, so be careful not to double click it on another system. It does have a prompt asking if you want to merge it with the registry however.)

Edited by thisismydisplayname, 23 November 2007 - 05:44 AM.

#5 mmoore4

mmoore4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2007 - 01:53 PM

Thanks everyone.

It is a Dell Dimension 4300 with XP home.

Loading the OS to Last Known Good Configuration did not work. It still went to black screen. I will try to load from an XP disk and let you know what happens.

mmoore4

#6 mmoore4

mmoore4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2007 - 02:12 PM

I went to boot menu and booted from the XP disk. I then entered Repair mode. A window "Microsoft Windows XP REceovery console" opened. It then shows : C:\WINDOWS on one line and then asks- "Whick Windows installation would you like to log onto (to cancel, press enter)?

Is this what I want? I entered "1" and it then asked for the Administrator password. I have no idea what this password might be.

mmoore4

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 23 November 2007 - 06:02 PM

The password request is routine. In most cases, just hit the ENTER key and that should bring you to a situation where you can run Recovery Console commands (specifically, type chkdsk /r since that invokes the most recuperative functions of chkdsk). Typing plain chkdsk results in nothing but a read function.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 24 November 2007 - 09:16 AM.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2007 - 07:39 PM

Using the Recovery Console may enable you to reboot the system. Try typing the following commands - each followed by pressing Enter:
fixboot
fixmbr

If that doesn't work, further on in the installation process you'll see another option to repair the OS (I think it's the 3rd screen in) - read this link for a better description of the repair installation: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 mmoore4

mmoore4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2007 - 10:27 PM

I was able to get to the command functions in the Recovery Console. First, I entered “fixboot” and it readily completed the task. I then entered ‘fixmbr”. A warning appeared on screen saying that if fails, fixmbr might damage the partition tables. I decided not to do this and went back to c prompt.

I then entered chkdsk /r and let it run. It said it fixed a few things (oddly that is nearly a quote) but did not say what it fixed. I then typed exit and tried to reboot to safe mode. This failed. It failed in exactly the same spot as before-“Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\agp440.sys”.

I assume I will need to do another hard reset but I am worried about doing this too many times. Obviously, there is data I am trying to protect on my HD.

What should I do next? I worried that I do not have the skills to continue to proceed in this manner with out jeopardizing my data further. Should I follow usasma’s advice and proceed with the “fixmbr” command despite the warning? If that fails should I continue with usasma’s advice and follow the directions to repair the OS as detailed in the link provided (http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm )? Or should I follow Syunichi’s advice and follow the repair OS directions that he/she gave? Syunichi’s advice may be a little too sparse for my level of expertise.

Finally, should I give up on this and remove the HD and take it to work to see if I can convince one the IT guys to try to access it from a working OS.

Many Thanks!

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2007 - 06:58 AM

I shy away from the bootcfg option in Recovery Console as it's syntax and output is confusing to me. I've used it several times with no adverse effects tho'.

As for fixmbr, it's one of the few commands left in Recovery Console that address a failure to boot. I'd suspect that it won't do anything for you tho' - as you're able to boot up to the agp440.sys file already (which implies that the disk booted up enough to load the file system drivers so it could access all the stuff before agp440.sys).

If it were me, I'd skip to the repair installation. Reading the link that I provided will give you a lot more information about the repair install, and will let you know where you're headed before you actually start it. http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

The biggest drawback with the repair installation is the need to sit through Windows Updates again - as I recall, even with SP2 you've still got around 96 updates to sit through in order to get current.

Good Luck!

EDIT: After some further thought on this issue, I suspect that the first step should be to perform a repair install according to the link above. Read the instructions carefully and ask questions before doing it. The repair install should at least make the system bootable.

Once bootable, the first priority should be to recover your data to removable media (a removable hard drive, flash drive, or CD/DVD's).

In the event that you cannot access the Windows installation after performing the repair installation - I'd suggest using either a Live Linux distro, a BartPE disk, or a copy of the Ultimate Boot CD to recover your data to recoverable media. The point here is that once the data is recovered - everything else can be rebuilt (if needed).

Edited by usasma, 24 November 2007 - 08:25 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 mmoore4

mmoore4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2007 - 01:57 AM

Thanks usasma!

The repair install worked. Things are a mess but I can recover the essestial data! I was thinking about a new system and maybe now is the time. It will be too much work to get everything back up to speed and then do it again in a few months.

mmoore4

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2007 - 07:45 AM

I'm glad that it worked for you. Please remember that it's essential to backup your data now - as we don't know if this issue will recur (or when).

#13 thisismydisplayname

thisismydisplayname

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:01 AM

Update:
I found Microsofts take and solution on this problem: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324764.

If a file is in a folder, or associated with a folder/file called "Drivers," then the problem is most-likely not OS-faulted. Drivers are the (usually) small programs that are created/used to control hardware, and are always associated with anything that tries to use that device. Windows Plug-N'-Play covers nearly all hardware made today, but the manufacturers drivers should always be best.

This particular driver was for your video display. It wasn't/isn't compatible with your system, thus you getting a black screen. I doubt that you would need to replace your system, as this seems like a minor malfunction, and nothing dangerous. But, if you want to be safe, I would get a second hard drive, install it (I can help guide you through that if you need help), and copy your stuff to that. I personally save my "installation" files from programs I download on my second hard drive. This is so I can always easily install/reinstall/uninstall then reinstall anything I need to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users