Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Googletoolbarnotifier.exe

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 23 November 2007 - 12:36 AM

Didn't know if I should post here or in the F@H thread. I might make a post there to get some of my fellow folders to take a look at this.

Anyway, I ran Uniblue's ProcessScanner to see how it might differ from other scans. I hadn't remembered seeing fahcore_80.exe (Folding@Home) on the process tab of my Task Manager before, but it showed up in this scan, and sure enough, there it was in Task Manager. (I have F@H configured to load as a startup in Services, and it's running there too.) When I clicked on it in the ProcessScanner results, up came this information:

fahcore_80.exe General Information
Author: n/a
Part Of: n/a

fahcore_80.exe File Details
File Path: c:\program files\folding
File Size: 0.011235
Memory Usage: 2392064
File Version: n/a
MD5: b03155a2a9e88318cff2c2d015160218

fahcore_80.exe Startup Details
Startup Method: Process
Parent Process: googletoolbarnotifier.exe

fahcore_80.exe File Description
File Description: McAfee Proxy Service Module
Author's Comments: McAfee Proxy Service

Startup Location:
Service Location: system\currentcontrolset\services\mcproxy
Service Description: McAfee Proxy Service

Note: OT or not? I don't know. Something very weird is that when I highlighted and copied the text above, the last three lines were not on the page, I swear. Nor were they there as hidden text in the background color.

So I googled the Google .exe file, and lo & behold, the first hit was for the entry on BC's very own Startup list. Searched on my computer for the program, and nothing, nada, zero, zip. I do realize it stays in memory, even though I uninstalled the toolbar about six weeks ago. OK, I found a Google folder in C\ProgramData\Custom Buttons named TOOLBAR.GOOGLE.COM_O8Y91YHB24Z6SR0SGYSK.XML. And there is other Google stuff on my computer, since it is my default search engine and I've also downloaded SketchUp.

Another entry in my Google search was this July 2006 blog, called Google is Your Default Search. This had a follow-up link saying that the bug was removed and going to another blog entry called The Search Battle For IE7.

Dang, now I forget my questions. :flowers:

Oh, yeah.... Should I try to track down this Google file, or is it a lost cause? How on earth are it and McAfee involved in running F@H, for heaven's sake? Could it be that this Microsoft Gold Partner has a screwed-up report?

Thanks to anyone who bothered to read this far. :thumbsup:

Edited by Dialer, 23 November 2007 - 12:39 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 23 November 2007 - 01:32 PM

They aren't and my guess is it is a false positive.

#3 Dialer

Dialer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 23 November 2007 - 04:44 PM

Thanks, Grinler. It sure didn't make sense to me. I'm perfectly happy to go through life believing that it's a false positive, since things are actually working quite well at the moment. <Dialer rushes off to back up her registry and do a system backup.>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users