Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What's A Better Choice...2nd Hd To Use In Raid Or To Use As External Backup Drive?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PC GEEK

PC GEEK

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 22 November 2007 - 10:29 PM

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum but i wasnt sure if i should go internal or external since my question concerns both

Ok so im sick of waking up sometimes and seeing my computer crapped out with a virus that involves a complete reinstallation or otherwise...i just got done working out a viruse for the last 10 hours and its just really getting to me...so i've come to this conclusion but idk which is the best since im not experience in using either.....

buy an identical hdd to the one i have (320GB seagate) and run the RAID setup (the one that mirrors your regular hd...maybe raid 1?) OR get a larger hdd (probably a 500GB seagate) and buy and external exclosure and be able to back up computer files on all my computers instead of just one.....

another thing i just thought of which makes me want to lean towards the external is that if you get a virus, its going to place itself on both hdd in the raid setup correct?

anyways..help me out and weigh opinions..would like to decide by black friday..tomorrow..because newegg has some specials on external exclosures...

thanks a ton guys..you are always a load of help!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 22 November 2007 - 11:09 PM

If you ran a RAID 1 setup, it would be like having 2 identical drives, including infections.
The advantage of a RAID 1 setup, is that if one of the drives died, you would have the spare all set up, and ready to go.

I'd get another internal drive, and then use a program, like Acronis, to image the drive.
do a clean install, load your programs, and image the drive.
When you get infected, do a restore using the image, and you've got your Operating System, and all programs, loaded, and ready to go.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 23 November 2007 - 07:05 AM

Microsoft has a program called Virtual PC. There are other Virtual Ware programs as well.

These programs would allow you to run a copy of XP within it and take a "Snapshot" of the OS at any time.

You can go and search the internet and not worry because you can reload the snapshot you took before you went surfing.

Many Virus Experts use these for watching how viruses and malware grow.

I believe Microsoft has been giving Virtual PC away for free. (Correct me if I am wrong.)

I also use Acronis True Image and it works great. Create the boot disk and make the image from a primary to a secondary (or external).

RAID 1 is usually used for System Partitions in order to offer redundancy, in case one hard drive crashes. Not to afford protection for viruses.

Good luck surfing. :thumbsup:

DR

#4 PC GEEK

PC GEEK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 23 November 2007 - 12:24 PM

gracias friends at BC...thanks for the help...i think i'll be getting an external...that was my original plan but i just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything i was missing...i'm a pretty cautious consumer!...anywho..i greatly appreciate your help!!!

Zac

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users