Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ntregopt Has Caused Major Problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cypod

Cypod

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 22 November 2007 - 10:03 PM

I ran the freeware registry compacting program NTREGOPT in Safe Mode. Everything looked fine as it reported it's usual "registry optimized - reboot PC now?". I allowed it to reboot. Now, right after the windows progress bar loads all I get is a black screen - it doesn't matter if I boot to Normal Windows or Safe Mode.

Rebooting from a boot floppy or my XP CD has the same result. The machine was running perfectly before this and I have never had a problem with NTREGOPT before.

What to do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 syunichi

syunichi

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 22 November 2007 - 10:10 PM

This is pretty weird but I encountered one before. Mine happens at boot and shutdowns.
As for shutdowns I'm sure that I gave to much for my pc to defrag paging for using high virtual memory.
And as for startup, I was editing my registery and startup applications and yes it starts at a blank page...but slowly it jumps to window. My suggestion is :

a) Try to do a crtl+alt+del at the blank screen. If it pops up the task manager, there is possibility that the system is still ok.
b. If the partition is a FAT32, boot from your bootable disk and do a scandisk or in XP chkdsk. Do a /F as in chkdsk /f for automatic repairs.

Hope it will help.
:thumbsup:
Posted Image

Tech Support: "Do you have any windows open right now?"
Customer: "Are you crazy woman, it's twenty below outside..."

#3 Cypod

Cypod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2007 - 10:35 PM

I just kept rebooting the thing over and over, and viola! - Windows came up normally. I don't know if I should do a restore; everything seems to be working OK.

Thanks for your quick response. No more NTREGOPT for me ...that program is Outta Here!

-C

#4 syunichi

syunichi

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 23 November 2007 - 12:14 AM

As I thought...It was a very slow boot. Anyways, great to hear about it. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

Tech Support: "Do you have any windows open right now?"
Customer: "Are you crazy woman, it's twenty below outside..."

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2007 - 12:23 AM

This is why for the most part we don't suggest the use of registry tools. If you are going to use one though you should back up the registry first.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Cypod

Cypod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2007 - 11:34 AM

Actually I did back it up - with Erunt. Unfortunately when I tried to restore from the backup (via the restore console), they were all zero files! :thumbsup:

Edited by Cypod, 23 November 2007 - 11:35 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users