Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pxe-e61 Media Test Fail

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 spacedye

spacedye

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 22 November 2007 - 03:19 PM

happy thanksgiving everyone!!
problem-
my gateway w/ western digital 80gb winxp home, doesnt want to start up anymore. it powers up and goes through the process and stops in iots trax with
PXE-E61 media test fail check cable
PXE-MOF PEE ROM boot failure system halted

i did a search here and found nothing. did a google search and came up with a few things to look at. ive changed the ide cables, swapped out with another HD that is good. nothing solved the issue. i saw that it may be looking to boot from the network card so i pressed F1 to get into setup and changed the boot order to cd then removable media, but didnt see anything to disable network card.
anyone have any suggetiosns or any other help? thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2007 - 03:37 PM

Reference: http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:BlNg_...;cd=5&gl=us

Now, my take on this is...the first message tells me that a cable is bad on a device which the system is trying to boot from, while the 2d message indicates that there is something wrong in the BIOS.

Since I know that BIOS problems can create other system problems, I would check the BIOS first for: correct time and date, proper recognition of drives (to included CD/DVD), and boot order. A failing CMOS battery will result in strange things happening with a system, including inability to boot.

CMOS Battery. - http://www.geocities.com/micksmix2000/cmosbatt.html Ignore that bit about a "next day" check of the time.

If you cannot get into the BIOS, then I suggest forcing the BIOS to revert to default settings. This can be done by shorting the motherboard jumper for CMOS settings or it can be done by removing the CR2032 battery from the system.

In your BIOS, you should have the standard boot options (HD, network, CD, etc.). IMO, set the 1st option to boot from IDE-0, which should be your hard drive with the O/S and your programs on it. 2d option s/b an optical drive. There is no reason to utilize the network option and it seems that XP goes to that one automatically whenever it cannot properly boot.

If all checks out with the BIOS/CMOS, then it's probably time to try a Recovery Console command (fixboot).

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 22 November 2007 - 07:26 PM.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 22 November 2007 - 06:17 PM

I've seen this a few times before. PXE stands for Preboot Execution Environment. I've seen it when a hard drive isn't recognized and the system then tries to boot from a network device that doesn't exist (so it fails).

So, check to see if the hard drive is detected in the BIOS. If so, then check to see if you can run chkdsk on it (by using the Recovery Console), and try running a bootable diagnostic from the manufacturer of the hard drive.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 spacedye

spacedye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2007 - 04:49 PM

hi thanks for the help everyone..
ive tried pretty much all the suggestions here but still having same issue. i replaced the HD with one i know is operating and its a no go.
i really dont know how to do anything in bios or whatever its called. do i juts type in chkdsk somewhere to run the recorvery console? sorry im really not that good with computers. i rerally appreciate the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users