Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Add/remove Programs Will Not Open

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 tsquic

tsquic

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 22 November 2007 - 12:14 PM

Add remove programs will not open when I click on the icon. I see an hour glass briefly but it never opens. I can use a utility I have to look at programs that can be removed on my system but the XP add/remove programs will not open.
Does anyone have a troubleshooting guide on what to do to solve this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2007 - 12:54 PM

Welcome to BC
Here's an explanation and a link to the fix. It will also work for XP even though it says 2000
Mark
http://www.jasonhartman.net
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 tsquic

tsquic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2007 - 10:20 AM

From the C: promptr, I typed "regsvr32 mshtml.dll" and pressed the [Enter] key, the following was the response:
"mshtml.dll was loaded, but DLLREGISTER server entry point was not found. This file can not be registered"

After typing regsvr32 with the other two file names at the C: prompt, I received the following response: "DLLREGISTER server + DLLinstall in [fname] succedded"

Also, I read many comments on the web regarding the file "appwiz.cpl" being connected to ADD REMOVE PROGRAMS.
When I typed "regsvr32 appwiz.cpl" at the C: prompte I received the following response: "Load library ("appwiz.cpl") failed - the specified module could not be found"
I looked in the system32 directory and file "appwiz.cpl" is there. I tried typing "regsvr32 appwiz.cpl" from both the root directory and in the system32 directory but got the same response??

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 24 November 2007 - 01:21 PM

You could always try sfc /scannow (first) and chkdsk /r in combination, if you have an XP CD.

LEARN how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker) in this article! - http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

How To Run CHKDSK In XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q315265

Louis

#5 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 24 November 2007 - 01:28 PM

Hello tsquic,

I see you have a HJT log posted in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum.

You shouldn't make any changes to your system, while your HJT log is posted, as that could change the results of the posted log, making it difficult to properly clean your system.
At this point, the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

I'm closing this topic until you are cleared by the HJT Team.
If, after your log has been cleaned, you still need help, please PM a Moderator and we will re-open this topic.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users