I was in the same boat. Tried the above fix in addition to many others that did not work. Finally received these fixes from HP Tech Support. Scenario 1 worked for me. After successfully installing the drivers, I reinstalled the "HP My Display software." I downloaded it from their site as it is an updated version (1.30 vs 1.20 on the disk that comes with the computer). Good luck.
Scenario 1: Customer is trying to install Monitor drivers after installing HP My Display Software.
A. Show hidden files and folders.
1. Click perl button and click Control panel.
2. In control panel window, select classic view link on the left pane. You will now notice icons in control panel.
3. Double click to open Folder options.
4. In folder options box, click view tab on the top.
5. Here, click â€śshow hidden files and foldersâ€ť radio button.
6. Apply and Ok.
B. Uninstall HP My Display Software.
1. Navigate to C:\Swsetup\Monitors\SP34257.
2. Delete 64 bit folder and HPx64DRV.exe files.
3. Click Perl button, click programs, expand HP My Display and click Uninstall HP My Display
4. Follow the wizard and complete uninstalling the software.
5. Restart the Computer after the uninstallation is complete.
6. Now try to install the Monitor Drivers.
SCENARIO 2: Customer is trying to install Monitor driver before installing the HP My Display software and receives an Access denied message.
A. Uninstall HP My Display Software.
1. Navigate to C:\Swsetup\Monitors
2. Delete SP34257 folder.
B. Steps to edit Registry.
3. Click Perl button and type regedit in index search. Open Registry editor.
4. Click File on the menu bar and select export.
5. Type regbackup and save the file on desktop.
6. Click + sign beside HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.
7. Click + sign beside Local Settings
8. Click + sign beside software
9. Click + sign beside Microsoft
10. Click + sign beside Windows
11. Click + sign beside Shell
12. Click to select MuiCache
13. On the right pane, select and right click a key starting with C:\Swsetup\Monitors\SP34257 and click delete.
14. Click + sign beside HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
15. Click + sign beside Software.
16. Click + sign beside Microsoft.
17. Click + sign beside Windows NT
18. Click + sign beside CurrentVersion.
19. Click + sign beside AppCompatFlags.
20. Click + sign beside Compatibility Assistant.
21. Select Persisted key.
22. On the right side, right click and delete a key starting with C:\Swsetup\Monitors\SP34257.
23. In Step 18, click to select Setup.
24. Delete Installation source key if data value is C:\Swsetup\Monitors\SP34257\32 bit.
25. Expand HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-677776630-1797091298-2012403022-1008\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Compatibility Assistant\Persisted
26. On the right side, delete all the keys starting with C:\Swsetup\Monitors
27. Close Registry Window.
28. Reinstall the Monitor driver.
Edited by trajan, 06 January 2008 - 06:53 AM.