Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Access Denied When Installing Monitor Drivers

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ikeik

ikeik

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 22 November 2007 - 11:34 AM

Have a new Vista Premium system. It's an HP Pavilion a6250z. My monitor is an HP w2007. Display Adapter is NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT with 512MB. 3GB RAM. Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4600+ 2.4 GHz.

Everything seems to be running great except that I cannot get the drivers for the monitor to install. No matter what I try, I get either an error has occured or Access Denied when I attempt to run the installation program.

When I look at my display properties it shows the correct monitor, however it shows there being no driver. In Device Manager the Monitor shows under Other Devices. My monitor seems to work ok...but there is a hugely noticiable quality difference between the display when connected to the new Vista machine and the older XP machine.

I've been through forums all over the net and tried everything I've found.

I've tried:

- Right-Click Run as Admin
- Creating/Using the Super Administrator Account
- Uninstalling Monitor and Detecting Hardware Changes
- Updating Driver from Display Properties
- Updating Driver from Device Manager
- Uninstalling Monitor, Rebooting in Safe-Mode, Logging in as Super Admin
- I've installed directly from CD
- Copied files to desktop and ran
- Downloaded new drivers directly from HP and ran from desktop
- I've even tried running the driver install in XP SP2 compat mode...just to be sure

I've done everything I can think of. Anyone have any suggestions? I really hate to have to uninstall everything and load an old copy of XP instead.

Thanks for all your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 22 November 2007 - 01:20 PM

I presume that you've got the 32 bit version of Vista and not the 64 bit version? If so....

Have you downloaded the drivers from this link? http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...289&lang=en

Have you updated your nVidia display drivers also? Here's a link to them: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_163.75.html

If you have the 64 bit version, then it appears that HP doesn't have a 64 bit driver for your monitor (here's the 64 bit nVidia drivers: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x64_163.75.html ) - so you won't be able to install it that way. Maybe you can find out who actually built the monitor for HP to see if there are 64 bit drivers at their website.

The following link is the last page of a 32 page topic about your monitor - it seems to indicate that there are some issues with the monitor depending upon which LCD screen you've got: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=...531&page=32
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 T0clcl

T0clcl

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 22 November 2007 - 01:26 PM

I have had the same EXACT problem with the w2007 monitor and my HP Pavilion m8100n. I tried all of the same steps you have with absolutely no luck. I finally got somebody at HP to adequately help me out via IM (about 30 minutes ago). I could have sworn I tried all of these steps previously, but I guess not since it worked this time.

These are the steps s/he gave me:
  • Disable UAC by following the below click trail
    • Control Panel >> User Account and Family Safety >> User Accounts >> Turn User Account Control on or off >> Uncheck the UAC box and click OK (NOTE: You will need to restart your computer for this to take effect)
  • Install the HP My Display Software. The HP My Display Software has the monitor drivers built into it.
    • If My Display Software doesn't bring the driver back, follow Step 2.
  • Click Start -> All Programs -> HP My Display -> Display Diagnostic Utility.
    • In the Display Diagnostic Utility click on “Clean Registry”. A Clean Reg Window would open, Click on “Yes”
    • On restart you will have “Other Devices” with “Generic Monitor” List under that same.
    • Continue the process of "Clean Registry" until you get "Other Devices" with "Generic Monitor" listed under that same.
  • Install Monitor Drives by doing "Drive Update Software" and directing it to the system32 folder or install monitor drivers from the CD. Or you can try installing the driver available in HP web site.
    • If vista finds the drivers in the system32 folder on its own, it would install the drivers automatically.
These steps worked for me! Hope it works for you. Let me know how it turns out. :huh:

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 22 November 2007 - 01:34 PM

Thanks for the info T0clcl! And welcome to Bleeping Computer!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 ikeik

ikeik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 22 November 2007 - 07:39 PM

T0clcl!!

That worked perfectly. :huh:

Honestly can say I wouldn't have come across that particular option on my own. Thanks!!! My display is back to the beautiful liquid shine I had come to enjoy!

Thanks again!!

#6 trajan

trajan

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 06:52 AM

I was in the same boat. Tried the above fix in addition to many others that did not work. Finally received these fixes from HP Tech Support. Scenario 1 worked for me. After successfully installing the drivers, I reinstalled the "HP My Display software." I downloaded it from their site as it is an updated version (1.30 vs 1.20 on the disk that comes with the computer). Good luck.

Scenario 1: Customer is trying to install Monitor drivers after installing HP My Display Software.

A. Show hidden files and folders.

1. Click perl button and click Control panel.

2. In control panel window, select classic view link on the left pane. You will now notice icons in control panel.

3. Double click to open Folder options.

4. In folder options box, click view tab on the top.

5. Here, click “show hidden files and folders” radio button.

6. Apply and Ok.

B. Uninstall HP My Display Software.

1. Navigate to C:\Swsetup\Monitors\SP34257.

2. Delete 64 bit folder and HPx64DRV.exe files.

3. Click Perl button, click programs, expand HP My Display and click Uninstall HP My Display

4. Follow the wizard and complete uninstalling the software.

5. Restart the Computer after the uninstallation is complete.

6. Now try to install the Monitor Drivers.

SCENARIO 2: Customer is trying to install Monitor driver before installing the HP My Display software and receives an Access denied message.

Possible Steps:

A. Uninstall HP My Display Software.

1. Navigate to C:\Swsetup\Monitors

2. Delete SP34257 folder.

B. Steps to edit Registry.

3. Click Perl button and type regedit in index search. Open Registry editor.

4. Click File on the menu bar and select export.

5. Type regbackup and save the file on desktop.

6. Click + sign beside HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.

7. Click + sign beside Local Settings

8. Click + sign beside software

9. Click + sign beside Microsoft

10. Click + sign beside Windows

11. Click + sign beside Shell

12. Click to select MuiCache

13. On the right pane, select and right click a key starting with C:\Swsetup\Monitors\SP34257 and click delete.

14. Click + sign beside HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

15. Click + sign beside Software.

16. Click + sign beside Microsoft.

17. Click + sign beside Windows NT

18. Click + sign beside CurrentVersion.

19. Click + sign beside AppCompatFlags.

20. Click + sign beside Compatibility Assistant.

21. Select Persisted key.

22. On the right side, right click and delete a key starting with C:\Swsetup\Monitors\SP34257.

23. In Step 18, click to select Setup.

24. Delete Installation source key if data value is C:\Swsetup\Monitors\SP34257\32 bit.

25. Expand HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-677776630-1797091298-2012403022-1008\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Compatibility Assistant\Persisted

26. On the right side, delete all the keys starting with C:\Swsetup\Monitors

27. Close Registry Window.

28. Reinstall the Monitor driver.

Trajan

Edited by trajan, 06 January 2008 - 06:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users