Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop To Tv Via S-video Cable.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wildchild2

wildchild2

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 22 November 2007 - 09:03 AM

I have a Compaq laptop running Vista Basic and I want to use it to display my photos on the tv. I got an s-video cable and plugged it in to both. An options box popped up asking about extending my desktop or mirroring. I chose mirroring and the same thing showed on the tv and laptop.

My problem is it only shows on the tv in black and white. Is this a setting on the computer somewhere or is it a tv setting? It also changed my laptop resolution to match the tv without asking and stuffed up my desktop layout.

Any ideas?
Posted Image

Custom Desktop,Intel Core2 Duo, GeForce 8400 Graphics,Vista Home, 2Gb ram, 160Gb & 250Gb Sata HDDs, Triple Monitors, Belkin keyboard and mouse, Avast Free, Compaq Laptop, Firefox browser, Thunderbird email, HP C5380 All-in-one Printer,Speedtouch Modem,Netgear Router, ADSL Broadband, Fuji Digital Camera.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 22 November 2007 - 01:51 PM

I'm not sure about the black and white issue, but the display settings can be configured for each monitor independent of each other. You just need to go into your display settings. Perhaps there is something there that needs to be altered to show it in color on your TV? It works with no fuss for me.

#3 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 22 November 2007 - 05:32 PM

I'd echo what groovicus suggested and add that there should be some details within your laptops' manual about connecting to a TV.
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#4 wildchild2

wildchild2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 22 November 2007 - 10:35 PM

Thanks guys for the replies. Sorry it took me so long to get back. We had a storm come over last night just after I posted my question and I had to shut my 'puter down.

I googled the problem and found it is quite common. I also found the answer.
When I connected the laptop to the tv I had both turned on and just plugged the cable in. WRONG! I got a picture but in B&W. The correct way is to connect while both are turned off then turn on tv then boot computer. Voila!-colour picture.
It still changes my laptop resolution to match the tv though, which is a pain in the a**, I have to reset it after I disconnect.
I haven't tried it yet but the answer might be to shut the lappy down while still connected then reboot.

Thanks again for your interest.
Posted Image

Custom Desktop,Intel Core2 Duo, GeForce 8400 Graphics,Vista Home, 2Gb ram, 160Gb & 250Gb Sata HDDs, Triple Monitors, Belkin keyboard and mouse, Avast Free, Compaq Laptop, Firefox browser, Thunderbird email, HP C5380 All-in-one Printer,Speedtouch Modem,Netgear Router, ADSL Broadband, Fuji Digital Camera.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users