Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Router Question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tom804

Tom804

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 22 November 2007 - 08:55 AM

Is there any way for me to retrieve the 'security key' for my Linksys WRT54G and also, how do I determine if it is set up as WEP or WPA? I need this info for a new network printer and have no idea where to find it.

Thanks

Tom

HAPPY THANKSGIVING......I don't expect a response today. Enjoy yourselves!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 22 November 2007 - 05:32 PM

Most routers are accessible through a Web interface. You need only open Internet Explorer and type in the IP address of the router.

To get the IP address of the router, Go to Start>Run and type in CMD and hit OK.

Now type in IPCONFIG /ALL and hit ENTER. You should get a bunch of numbers, IP addess, Gateway, DHCP server, DNS servers.

You want the Gateway address. It is usually, 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1. Now close out of the Command line (type EXIT).

Now, enter that IP address into your Web Browser address bar. You should get a prompt for a user name and password. If you never changed it, you can try admin for user name and password for the password. (sometimes the password is admin as well).

If you can't get in, then someone else must have set up your router and changed the password. You either need them to give you the password info or you can reset the router using the tiny reset button on the back. That sets it back to defaults.

OK, if you get in, you should be able to choose Wireless, then Wireless Security.

That page should tell you whether you are WAP or WEP and whether you are 128-bit or something else. It should also list the network key, which you need only write down in order to insert into your computer. You will also need the SSID, so write that down too.

I hope this helps.

DR

#3 Tom804

Tom804
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2007 - 08:12 PM

It worked exactly like you said, DR.

Thanks, and I hope you had a nice holiday.

Tom

#4 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2007 - 06:55 AM

Great. :huh:

Glad I could be of help.

Now, there are a couple of things you can do to make it more secure.

First, change the password!

Secondly, you can select to NOT BROADCAST the SSID. This will prevent others from seeing your system. You need to know the SSID in order to input it for any new connections. (you also will need the network key of course)

These 2 changes can help secure your system from intruders. :thumbsup:

DR

#5 8100 Power

8100 Power

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:21 PM

The Tech that setup my network (For Motel Wireless) used 128 bit with a 26 Didget key. Is this nesscerary?

#6 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2007 - 11:04 PM

That is the most secure WEP protection. You're in good hands. :thumbsup:

DR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users