Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen Of Death

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 loque

loque

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 22 November 2007 - 06:57 AM

I keep getting this BSOD, prior to which the whole system grinds to a halt and restarts. It restarts before I can read what the blue screen says. Sometimes the PC can sit on for hours and not have this happen, and sometimes it just does it really quicky. It seems to occur when I am "doing stuff"... ie with music on or browsing internet. It often does it with music on.

Also, about 50% of the time when I turn my PC on it just hangs. It powers up but it doesn't beeps, it just sits there and I get the "no video input" message on my monitor. Sometimes I just press restart and it all works fine, sometimes it takes about 5 tries.

ALSO, I keep getting those errors saying such and such has has encountered a problem and needs to close, usually for Firefox, (Windows) Explorer and other programs.

Any ideas???

System:
Windows XP (Professional, 5.1 Build 2600, all updated with latest upgrades
2044 GB RAM,
GeForce 8600 GT
Genuine Intel ® CPU 2160 @ 180 Ghz (2 CPUs)
Phoenix AWARDBIOS v 6.00PG
Direct X 9.0C (4.09.0000.0904)

Thanks guys

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,088 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 22 November 2007 - 07:00 AM

In an effort to get a recorded error message: Disable Auto Reboot On System Crash - http://www.theeldergeek.com/auto_reboot_on_system_crash.htm

To view specifics of errors needing attention: What is the Event Viewer, and Should I Care - Ask Leo! - http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html

More detail is required than you have provided, IMO.

Louis

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 22 November 2007 - 07:01 AM

In Windows XP, the default setting is for the computer to reboot automatically when a fatal error occurs. An alternative is to turn off the automatic reboot feature so you can actually see the error code/STOP Message (which is also known as the Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD)).

To change the recovery settings and Disable Automatic Rebooting, right-click on My Computer and select Properties > Advanced tab. Under "Startup and Recovery", click on the "Settings" button and go to "System failure". Make sure that "Write an event to the system log" is checked and that "Automatically restart" is unchecked. Click "OK" and reboot for the changes to take effect.

This will not cure your problem but instead of crashing and restarting you will get a blue diagnostic screen with information displayed that will allow you to better trace your problem. Next time your computer crashes copy down the entire error message (including all the numbers) and post it back here.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 loque

loque
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2007 - 06:30 PM

Ok.

After a couple of weeks of testing I think I know what's up.

I took a RAM stick out, and the problems dissapeared completely, absolutely no problems whatsoever, the most stable system I've ever had. I switched the RAM sticks round, still just keeping one stick in, and not two. Again, no problems.

As soon as I put both sticks in together, I start having the problems. They are the same model, manufacturer and everything, completely idectical.

What could be causing this??

:thumbsup:

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 06 December 2007 - 06:44 PM

Try running Memetest. and Check your ram. Also What model of motherboard do you have? Or what kind of computer is it . IE dell (model number), or Hp (model number).
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#6 loque

loque
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 10:08 AM

Unfortunately I can't use memory test you told me to because I need to put it on a floppy and I don't have a floppy drive, if it works from a CD I shall have to go and get a blank disc first.

Er, it's not any specific make, I got it built from scratch in May. The motherboard is an ASUS P5N-E SLI..

The RAM is made by Corsair, and model name appears to be: CM2X1024-5400C4.

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 08 December 2007 - 06:22 AM

You can use the program from CD. You will need to download the ISO image and using Nero or a ISO recorder found HERE burn the image to disk.
The images are under ISO images suitable for creating a bootable Memtest86 CD-ROM and you want Download - Memtest86 v3.4 ISO image (zip)

Edit: Have you cleaned the computer lately? Cleaning The Interior or your PC

Edited by Sneakycyber, 08 December 2007 - 06:24 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#8 loque

loque
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2007 - 01:20 PM

It seems to be crashing a lot more when there are two memory sticks in. until I can run that mem test, here is the text i'm getting on the blue screen:

A problem has been detected and PC shut down to avoid damage (etc)

BAD_POOL_HEADER

More text, just telling me to restart and stuff if it's the first time I've seen it (etc)

Technical info:

***STOP: 0X00000019 (0X00000020, 0X8A1C8EA0, 0X8A1C99D0, 0X0B663D08)

Beggining dump of physical memory.

Physical memory dump complete.

What do you think?? Thanks guys.

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2007 - 01:37 PM

According to this site:

0x00000019: BAD_POOL_HEADER
A pool header issue is a problem with Windows memory allocation. Device driver issues are probably the msot common, but this can have diverse causes including bad sectors or other disk write issues, and problems with some routers. (By theory, RAM problems would be suspect for memory pool issues, but I havenít been able to confirm this as a cause.)

Check your devices in Device Manager (Start > Run > type "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter). Look for any ! or X symbols.

Also, try running chkdsk on your hard drive if you haven't already.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 loque

loque
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2007 - 02:58 PM

Well, I have a red cross over something called "1394 Net Adapter", under the tab "Network Adapters". I don't know what this is, it's not the Wireless card I use for the internet, and probably has nothing to do with my problem but here's a screenie:

http://matthewjamesarcher.googlepages.com/system.GIF

I check disk a while ago and picked up no problems but I'll try it again..
Thanks.

#11 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2007 - 03:24 PM

I think the 1394 Net Adapter is Firewire.

I understand that XP has native support for firewire, so you can uninstall it in the Device Manager, reboot, and let Windows automatically reinstall it.

Edited by Budapest, 12 December 2007 - 03:56 PM.

—George Bernard Shaw

#12 loque

loque
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2007 - 04:21 PM

Ok, I'll try that.

The last one I got was a different error,

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

0x000000A (0x9023DF74, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x8050e252)

Which, using the site posted above, says is likely due to a bad driver or faulty hardware/software. I'm following the instructions on there now...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users