Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Comp. Keeps Hanging Or Blacking Out. Help Pls.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 limitbreaker

limitbreaker

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 22 November 2007 - 05:24 AM

Hi, my computer is about 3 years old. It has been working fine till a few months ago when it began to just blackout or hang after a few minutes i entered Windows XP. Often i have to restart, but the problem may recur. On average, i takes me about 3 times of restarting before it stops hanging. Recently, it just keeps hanging or blacking out and i just gave up using it. Can someone please help me with the problem? I would really appreciate it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 22 November 2007 - 06:38 AM

If you can keep the computer running long enough have a look in the Event Viewer for any errors at the time of the hangs.

To open the Event Viewer go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer. Alternately, go to Start > Run and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Check in all three categories (Application, Security, and System).

If you find an error that occurred at the time right-click on it and select properties. Copy the information in the window and post it back here. This will help us diagnose your problem.

How To Use the Event Viewer
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 limitbreaker

limitbreaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2007 - 11:08 PM

Hi again.
Here's what i have:

Under system:
Resolve Partial Assembly failed for Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC. Reference error message: The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.

Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC could not be found and Last Error was The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.

Error code 1000000a, parameter1 a19eaaa4, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 804da0a2.

The time provider NtpClient is configured to acquire time from one or more time sources, however none of the sources are currently accessible. No attempt to contact a source will be made for 14 minutes. NtpClient has no source of accurate time.
Time Provider NtpClient: An error occurred during DNS lookup of the manually configured peer 'time.windows.com,0x1'. NtpClient will try the DNS lookup again in 15 minutes. The error was: A socket operation was attempted to an unreachable host. (0x80072751)

Timed out sending notification of device interface change to window of "SAS window"

DCOM got error "The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion. " attempting to start the service iPodService with arguments "-Service" in order to run the server:
{7A7FB085-6068-4898-8CCA-480A9187277C}

Under Application:
Faulting application componentlauncher.exe, version 3.0.0.49815, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x00010e03.

Faulting application avast.setup, version 4.7.0.0, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x00018fea.

Hanging application wmplayer.exe, version 11.0.5721.5145, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

Hanging application msnmsgr.exe, version 8.1.178.0, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

Faulting application pcmservice.exe, version 1.0.0.1611, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x00018fea.

Hanging application iexplore.exe, version 7.0.6000.16544, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

These are the errors which i have found over the last 1 or 2 weeks.

#4 limitbreaker

limitbreaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2007 - 11:11 PM

And also, i have another category. It's the 'antivirus category'

Under this category, the errors are:
AAVM - initialization error: Standard Shield provider: cannot start because 'Norton Antivirus / Symantec Antivirus' is active!, 00000000.

AAVM - initialization error: P2P provider: cannot start because 'Norton Antivirus / Symantec Antivirus' is active!, 00000000.

AAVM - initialization error: Instant Messaging provider: cannot start because 'Norton Antivirus / Symantec Antivirus' is active!, 00000000.

The source of the events under this 'antivirus category' is Avast!

#5 limitbreaker

limitbreaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2007 - 01:12 AM

What's wrong with my computer? Will reinstalling windows help?

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2007 - 01:35 AM

Do any of these errors occur at the same time that your computer hangs?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 limitbreaker

limitbreaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2007 - 05:05 AM

I cant really tell. The first and second error under system recur rather frequently. Could it be due to Avast? These are the errors tt occur.

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2007 - 05:13 AM

It may be due to Avast, however these sorts of problems can be notoriously difficult to troubleshoot. It wouldn't hurt to uninstall and then reinstall Avast though.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 limitbreaker

limitbreaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2007 - 10:15 AM

Is Avast a malicious program and not an antivirus program at all. What anti-virus programs would you recomend?

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2007 - 10:18 AM

Avast is a well known and reliable anti-virus. However, if you are getting Avast errors in the Event Viewer then Avast may have become corrupted somehow. That is why I recommend uninstalling and then reinstalling it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 limitbreaker

limitbreaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2007 - 10:22 AM

Ok, i see. I will uninstall and reinstall Avast. However, i am not sure if Avast is the sole cause of the problem because there are errors in other parts of the event viewer, notably under system. Get back to ya soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users