Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Have Big Problems

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 donvon

donvon

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 22 November 2007 - 02:03 AM

i am trying to install windows xp home with sp2 and when i just try to let it boot normaly i recive a message stating connot boot windows beacouse either
<windows root>\system32\HAL.DLL is missing or corrupt. and when i try to clean install windows xp home i get maney messages starting with "setup cannot copy file:cdaudio.sys" the next one is "cinemst2.sys" and their are many more . What am i doing wrong or what is going on can someone please help me?
Thank You : Donny

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 22 November 2007 - 02:30 AM

Did you reformat or wipe the drive before attempting to install the OS?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 22 November 2007 - 08:25 AM

Is your installation CD damaged/scratched?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 donvon

donvon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2007 - 12:13 PM

yes i have reformatted and i have cleaned the installation disk and according to CKDSK the hard drive is ok , i am so confused.... :thumbsup:

thank you: Donny

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 22 November 2007 - 01:11 PM

Just to be sure...you did delete all existing partitions before creating/formatting/installing XP...and you did use the XP CD to format?

I've had this (or something analogous) happen, just cannot remember the circumstances.

You did run chkdsk /r on that hard drive, right? Running chkdsk by itself does nothing but read.

Louis

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 22 November 2007 - 01:31 PM

Cleaning the disk is a good thing - but are there any visible scratches in it?
chkdsk checks the file system on the hard disk - and not the disk itself. You can check the physical structure of the hard drive itself by downloading a bootable utility from the website of the hard drive manufacturer.

Another cause of this kind of issue could be a faulty CD/DVD drive - have you tried one of those lens cleaner thingies on it?

Edited by usasma, 22 November 2007 - 01:33 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 donvon

donvon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2007 - 05:18 PM

thank you for your help it was the installation disk i have it fixed now :inlove: :) :cool: :trumpet: :thumbsup: :flowers: HAPPY THANKSGIVING JOHN

TKS AGAIN: DONNY

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users