Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

When System Restore Fails To Restore To Earlier Point

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 21 November 2007 - 10:26 PM

Before you go all crazy and delete your System Volume Information folder contents, here's the fix.

Open Norton Internet Security

Select settings and click on Auto protect>configure

In the left pane, click Miscellaneous

Under the heading, "How to protect my product," Un-check: "Turn on protection for my Symantec product."

Now you can select your restore point and proceed with system restore. After the restore has successfully completed, go back to Norton and Turn protection back on.

You'll have to do that any time you want to restore to an earlier point.

I wish I had figured that out before I hosed my Sys Vol folders. :thumbsup:
I hope this helps somebody.

{Mod Edit:Moved to appropriate forum~boopme}

Edited by boopme, 27 November 2007 - 10:21 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 webwizard

webwizard

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:14 AM

cheers rknrusty for your tweaking explorations experience - it helps me :thumbsup:

I use Norton 2007 and did wonder why my restore point 1. did not create properly and 2. I was unable to restore to the very first succesful restore point.
I tried your guide and bingo!
Hope others who do a search when they have the same issue come across this post :D

Edited by webwizard, 27 November 2007 - 10:14 AM.

#3 RknRusty

RknRusty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2007 - 07:03 PM

Happy to have been helpful, pass it on if you can.

#4 webwizard

webwizard

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 27 November 2007 - 07:13 PM

Will do, got it stored on my reference. I got only one issue with using this site, I come across info (like the info you provided) but remembering where i found it etc.. and trying to find it again can sometimes be a long drawn out procss - any tips or suggestions? thanks

#5 JacksonT

JacksonT

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 27 November 2007 - 08:46 PM

Will do, got it stored on my reference. I got only one issue with using this site, I come across info (like the info you provided) but remembering where i found it etc.. and trying to find it again can sometimes be a long drawn out procss - any tips or suggestions? thanks

How about creating a special folder in your bookmarks ?

#6 bsgranpa

bsgranpa

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 21 February 2008 - 03:49 PM

Rather than starting a new topic, I am suffering with the same problem. However, I have upgraded to Norton Internet Security 360 and cannot find the path for turn-off. I am wondering if Norton's 360 could be preventing System Restore from working as designed? I will check back to see if this reply is read. Otherwise, I will start a new topic. Thanks for all the help in the past, especially from Grinler last fall.

#7 RknRusty

RknRusty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:21 PM

Is there a way to completely disable 360, including firewall, AV and everything?

P.S. In my subject line I should have included NIS 2008.

#8 working girl

working girl

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 10:05 PM

I've poked around on Norton 360 and have not been able to find a way to disable it in one swoop. You have to go into every feature and disable (and then you're not really sure it's a done deal.)

I'd love to know if there is a way.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2008 - 09:58 AM

My suggestion: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...005033108162039
I've had a couple of problems with Norton 360 and don't recommend it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users