Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building New Rig

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 fizban00

fizban00

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 21 November 2007 - 10:17 PM

I have a Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz ,ABIT IB9 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard , Radeon X1950PRO 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card ,Patriot 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) , Maxtor 6y16p0 harddrive ide, 560 watt power supply. When i hook everything up and turn on the power it starts up , but my monitor never comes on , like its not getting any signal , i dont know if there is a conflict with those parts i have or what , can someone help me plz , thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 21 November 2007 - 10:23 PM

1st what is the brand and model of the power supply?

Did you hook up the auxiliary power to the vid card?

it's seated properly in the slot?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 fizban00

fizban00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2007 - 10:44 PM

power supply is THermaltake Xaser III silent purepower 560w , yes video card power is plug up and it is seated properly. I'm thinking of buying a new motherboard maybe , it something with the motherboard , or the harddrive being IDE.

#4 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 21 November 2007 - 10:51 PM

no, I doubt it's either of those things. why don't we see before jumping the gun, neh?

#5 fizban00

fizban00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2007 - 10:57 PM

ok , what suggestions do u guys have for me , things i can try . Any ideas could save me some money.

#6 fizban00

fizban00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2007 - 11:03 PM

btw , The hard drive is the one i i'm using now on this setup , i have 2.8 gig p4 , x1300 pro video card , 1024 400 , p4s800d X asus mb. Would all that stuff being on the hd interfere?

#7 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2007 - 12:04 AM

well, 1st off, Patriot does not list that model of board as being one they carry memory for. that's the 1st thing I would be suspicious of.

also, the 24pin and the 4 pin 12v rail are both secured as well as the video card, correct?

Edited by Robert Isbell, 22 November 2007 - 12:06 AM.

#8 nightspydk

nightspydk

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 22 November 2007 - 01:43 AM

It can be a lot of things, not kidding, I've seen a mouse cause that. :D

I have an old P4 that does that when I take it a apart and do not fit the heatsink proper.
If you want options before you go buy new mb, that's one that'll leave an empty display.
CPU not seated proper.
Thermal grease not applied proper. I don't know I think many run fine without any.

Those would be my first ideas since you are building, but it's just my cents. :thumbsup:

Did you hook up the auxiliary power to the vid card?

That would be an idea, except nvidia and radeon (it seems) both have beeb alarms build in the card nowadays. It will sound if that plug has not been connected.
If it's anything like what I heard, you won't miss it.

Edited by nightspydk, 22 November 2007 - 02:04 AM.

#9 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2007 - 02:06 PM

no, the cards do not alarm, it just will not output any video, the cards have no audio on them and any errors beeps are from the motherboard.

#10 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 22 November 2007 - 05:28 PM

Personally before I'd think about splashing the cash, I would strip the computer down and rebuild, double checking the connectons. In fact you could test the card in another machine if possible to see if any damage may of occured. If after the rebuild things aren't working it maybe wise to try a friend's graphics card in your machine, to see if you system boots.
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#11 nightspydk

nightspydk

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 22 November 2007 - 08:37 PM

OFF TOPIC

no, the cards do not alarm, it just will not output any video, the cards have no audio on them and any errors beeps are from the motherboard.

Yeah it would seem that there is some disaggrement on the matter. The manufacturers aren't that genereous with information, so it would seem you are right in most instances. I'm quite sure I got one on my 8800 gts and it sounds nothing like a mb beep.
I have mate that confirmed he got one I think on a card as old as the 7800.
I any case have a look here if you want -
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1170614&page=2
Maybe it's not as common s I thought.
PS haven't read the link myself, so make your own judgement. :flowers:

Here's a quote from the link -

Hmmm, interesting data! So, what we have so far is that the sound isn't made by a capacitor or VRM that's about to blow, but by a part that was designed to buzz, presumably when power is "perceived" by it as being too low. I'm guessing it's supposed to sound a loud alarm when the power is obviously off, like if one of the 6-pin adaptors is disconnected, but it can sort of "start" to activate (buzz) if power is borderline.

Here's another -

emailed nvidia and the rep said the cards have an "Insufficient power" buzzer. That they have had it for years. (I never noticed it or ever heard it).

Sorry to go so much OFF TOPIC, but I thoght it important for the sake of not feeding misinformation. :thumbsup:

*edited

Edited by nightspydk, 22 November 2007 - 08:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users