Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fujitsu Hdd Failure

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 SQLCommando

SQLCommando

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 21 November 2007 - 08:34 PM

I have a SOTEC Laptop 3120X with a failed model MHT2040AH Fujitsu HDD. The HDD serial nmber is Np02T5229H39.

The machine will not boot, and when tested using Fujitsu's HDD utility it presents the error message "B101T6" and recommends calling Fujitsu support to translate the meaning of the error message

I've tried formatting the drive, but nothing will recover or restore it's functionality.

This is the second Fujitsu HDD I've had to put in this computer since purchasing it in 2005. There are no cooling problems. The computer actually gets very little use (even before it croaked!!!)

My questions then ... are Fujitsu HDD's crapola? ...

What does the error code mean? ( besides that I need to buy a new one!!!!)

What type of 2.5" drive would you recommend as a replacement for this computer.

Thanks all and happy turkey day!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 21 November 2007 - 09:56 PM

I've had good luck with their drives. as for the code, you'll have to contact them because they are the only ones I know of that can tell you what it means.

#3 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 22 November 2007 - 07:59 AM

IMHO, even if you managed to recover the drive via a format, this would be ringing alarm bells in my ears. I wouldn't like to rely on using this drive, it has caused this error for a reason, and for that reason I wouldn't trust it with holding data again.

Besides, HDD's are cheap enough nowadays, and personally from my own experience I would stay away from Fujitsu, Samsung, Hitachi and IBM's and stick with Western Digital or Maxtor. Unless the drive contains extremely important data I would just bin it, its not worth wasting time over it With regards to size of HDD, you'll have to check what size your motherboard/BIOS/OS can support.

Hope that helps!

P.S there was someone on here that was experiencing a similar problem, look here.

Edited by FireKracker, 22 November 2007 - 08:00 AM.

If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 22 November 2007 - 08:20 AM

I've not had a problem with the Fujitsu drives I've had, 2.5-inch or 3.5-inch.

A hard drive is like anything else manmade...it can fail any time, any place, given the variables of life.

Louis

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 22 November 2007 - 08:38 AM

Strange set of coincidences, very little use and 2 hard drive failures in 2 years?

I have had some problems with hard drives that don't get enough use, another issue would be letting the battery get and stay low? Hard drive's biggest enemy is shock tho, turned off and with the heads in park they are still sensitive.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2007 - 02:09 PM

I'd suggest you contact them immediately and find outwhat the code means and if it is under warranty, have it replaced, f not, then we can go from there. I would like to know what they say the code means.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2007 - 02:31 PM

This post may help with the error message: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=629730

It says:

Basically:
- A = quick test -or- B = comprehensive test
- 1 = failed -or- 0 = passed
- 01 - of this, the 0 seems to be "unrecoverable" and the 1 seems to be a "read error"
(i couldn't get any additional info from them)
- the last 2 characters she told me were not important because they were specific to the HD itself.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2007 - 05:31 PM

it's a HDD code, not a beep code. he needs to contact fujitsu to find out what it is.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2007 - 06:24 PM

it's a HDD code, not a beep code. he needs to contact fujitsu to find out what it is.

If you would bother to read the link, rather than just making baseless assumptions, you'd see that it is from a member who called Fujitsu and that they explained the code to them as I quoted. AFAIK, there's no mention of a beep code anywhere in that particular post.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2007 - 06:50 PM

okay, i still suggest them calling they may have revamped the codes and what they mean, or he may have not gotten everything written down right.

#11 SQLCommando

SQLCommando
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2007 - 12:47 AM

Thanks for the advice all .... I will call them on Monday and advise on their reply.

#12 SQLCommando

SQLCommando
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2007 - 09:44 PM

Got a reply from them today. Pretty slim ... they said it means "READ ERROR". I asked what that meant, and they said "you need a new HDD".

I kid you not.

LOL

Thanks!

#13 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2007 - 12:29 AM

Several years back I had some problems with a couple of maxtor drives, power glitches, controller problems, whatever, they returned diagnostic error codes, I did a slow write of 0's to them, the first I did a slow read and it passed, the second a quick test, both afaik know are still running fine. If you do a slow write and then it fails the drive is bad.

Edited by DaChew, 27 November 2007 - 12:29 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users