Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing a windows 95 OS on second drive?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ashek2005

ashek2005

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 20 February 2005 - 12:22 AM

Hi,

My primary hard drive crashed. As a result when I boot up my desktop, I get message "Operating System not found". My secondary hard drive is ok. One of the options (since this a old desktop), I have is install OS on secondary drive and boot of it.
Questions is if I install 95 OS on it, will it reformat my drive in the process and will I lose all the data. Or, can I install OS without reformatting the drive. The risk here being i will have only one hard drive.

The second option is installing a new hard drive and put OS on it. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Ashek

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 20 February 2005 - 12:46 PM

I don't think there's any way you could possibly install 95 onto the HD without damaging what's on it, short of creating a new partition on the drive first and that would require a functional operating system. Even then, the data would have to be neatly defragged or part of it might be lost.

I think your best bet's a new hard drive.

Is it possible to re-install your operating system on the primary drive?

Warning - there is at least one virus out there that can wipe the contents of your drive except for itself. If you use a boot disk to start the computer, make sure you lock the button in the corner to write-protect the floppy.

Also, have you tried using the boot disk to start the computer and repair it?

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,542 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2005 - 01:04 PM

No you can install any os windows on an existing partition without losing any data. The OS installation will not wipe the partition unless you let it do so. It will give you the option to leave the partition untouched and therefore all your data in the other directories will remain the same. If there is a windows folder, that data may get written over by the reinstall but that is it

#4 ashek2005

ashek2005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 20 February 2005 - 01:40 PM

Lawrence,

I have booted the m/c on the working hard drive. Since window 98/98 was not on this drive, it gives me the following msg
Microsoft Windows 98 Startup menu
1. Normal
2. Logged (\bootlog.txt)
3. Safe mode
4. Step-by-step configuration
5. Command prompt nly
6.safe mode command prompt only

Enter choice:

Warning: windows has detected a registry/configuration error.
Choose, Command prompt only, and run SCANREG.

What to choose here? Also, no matter what I choose I get command prompt. I get the following mesgs

The following file is missing or corrupted - C:\windows\HIMEM.SYS
The following file is missing or corrupted - C:\Windows\DBLBuff.sys
The following file is missing or corrupted - C:\windows\IFSHLP.sys

Cannot find win.com, unable to continue loading windows

How do I install windows 95 here? How do i access the cd-rom drive?
thanks

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,542 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2005 - 07:46 PM

Insert the windows 95 cd (98 if you have that as its better) and see if it will boot off of it. I think the second version of windows 95 was able to boot off ot it. Been a while.

If that does not work you can go to bootdisk.com to make a new bootdisk with cdrom drivers that you can boot with

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users