Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Play Files With Windows Media Player 11

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Robiwebbie

Robiwebbie

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 21 November 2007 - 07:43 PM

I may be brain dead but I can't open any files with Windows Media Player 11.

When trying to open a file with WMP11 or trying to play an audio CD, I get an error message "WMP encountered a problem " . When I go to web for more info, the error code C00D11B1 is reported with some resolutions suggested. I believe I have tried all these possible solutions. Eg, I have validated my copy of XP Home Edition as required, Windows' updates are current on my system, hardware manager doesn't see a problem, etc.

I can play CDs and .wav files with "itunes" so I know my sound system is working. I was even able to rip tracks from a CD with WMP11 and then add them to itunes library and play them back with itunes so some of WMP11 functions are working. The "burn" function of WMP11 didn't appear to work though.

I tried to uninstall/roll back to WPM10 in Control Panel but was prohibited from doing this. When I uninstall WPM11, the system indicates roll back is complete but WPM11 remains as the program. Tried to download WPM10 but this was stopped by the system from completing this. I don't have any restore points with WPM10 so I can't restore to an earlier time.

I need some help here, please.

Thanks, Robiwebbie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2007 - 07:29 AM

IMO, sounds like file corruption.

Have you checked Event Viewer for any error messages pertaining to WMP or related services?

Have you seen these?

http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:3088Y...;cd=5&gl=us

http://www.mcse.ms/message2487155.html

Louis

#3 Robiwebbie

Robiwebbie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2007 - 04:34 PM

Louis,

I don't have experience with Event Viewer but I don't see any new posts to Event Viewer even when I open WMP and get the WPM error message.

I'm working my way through the links you suggested. First try there had no success.

Is there a way to force a roll back/uninstall of WPM11 and start over with WPM10?

Robiwebbie

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2007 - 05:54 PM

You can roll back to WMP 10 by using Add/Remove Programs to remove WMP 11...at least, that's how it works on my systems.

Louis

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 23 November 2007 - 07:35 PM

Try opening WMP, go to Tools.>Options and select "File Types" tab. Choose "select all" click on "apply" and OK. See if that helps
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 Robiwebbie

Robiwebbie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2007 - 04:35 PM

Mark,

Tried your sugestion without success. WPM was selected to open all file types. I unchecked and reselected all but same error message.

This is very frustrating. I hope/expect there is some mistake I'm making but it is eluding me for now.

When I use Contol Panel Add/Rem Programs, it keeps me stuck on WPM11 and doesn't roll back to WPM10.

Thanks,

Robiwebbie

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 24 November 2007 - 05:01 PM

If you have Ccleaner installed it might not uninstall in Add/Remove programs:
"You can uninstall the WMP11 through the Add/Remove Programs control panel. If you have run old versions of CCleaner (they have fixed this in current builds), those will destroy WMP's ability to uninstall. If you have run CCleaner or otherwise find that uninstall fails, you should still be able to use the System Restore point that WMP created in order to roll back to your previous player version. "

"Well, on Windows Media Player, I went to Now Playing> More options> Player
and removed the check mark from Connect to the Internet.., and the program is
now playing beautifully."

"If you have Samsung PC Studio 3 installed, remove it. Fixed the problem for me."

"
Media player was reporting this error code to me for the last several months whenever playing ANY purchased music. Nothing in any article or anything else on the Internet referencing this error code worked to solve it. HOWEVER I just solved my issue and feel compelled to report it. I figured out that deleting ALL the files in the folder: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\DRM\ as well as the files in the “Cache” folder beneath that was the magic trick. I don’t know if you need to delete from both folders, but I did and it worked for me. Note that media player had to re-download the licenses. Good luck!"

last suggestion
http://martinjsteven.blogspot.com/2007/06/...ayer-error.html

Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users