Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Parental Controls

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wcb

wcb

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 21 November 2007 - 07:37 PM

As adminstrator I set my kids up with their own accounts password protected standard users. All had been working fine, however now they cannot access the internet. When they hit internet explorer the sceen appears with google prompts and toolbars etc. but the lower screen has the following: Windows Parental Controls has blocked acces to this web page. Parental controls Service unavailable or not responding. As Administrator I go back into the control screen to review the user account info. When there on 2 of the accounts all the information is there. One account automaticly prompts that I am unable to make changes to the parental control settings. If this problem persists, see your system administrator. If I try to change the other 2 accounts to see if that would correct the problem the unable to change parental control warning is displayed. As administrator I have no problem accessing and using the internet. I'm at a loss all comments welcomed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,542 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 24 November 2007 - 01:49 PM

Do me a favor and post the exact message you are receiving word for word. Will make it easier for me to research.

#3 wcb

wcb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2007 - 02:11 PM

The message that appears on the screen below the tool bars when the standard user attempts to access the internet is: Windows Parental Controls has blocked access to this web page. Parentals Controls Service unavailable or not responding. This means windows Parental Control Service is either not running or not responding. Try again later. If problem continues try rebooting the computer or contact your system admiistrator for assistant. As administrator I go into the user accounts to change the user profile to see if that eliminates the problem but I get an error message that states: Unable to make changes to Parental Controls Settings. I'm not the most computer savvy so detailed explnations will be helpful. Thanks. wcb

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,542 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2007 - 02:58 PM

Not much info on this error. May need a few days to find out information on it and to reach out to some people who may know the answer.

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,542 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2007 - 05:13 PM

I unfortunately have not been able to dig anything up on this and there is scan information at best about it on the web. I would suggest you contact Microsoft Support about this.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2007 - 06:21 PM

I'm just guessing here - but try creating a new administrator account and see if you can get in that way. Also try creating another user account and see if it behaves normally. If something doesn't work right - then I'd suspect that that account has been corrupted - and you'll have to create accounts to replace the corrupted ones.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 wcb

wcb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2007 - 07:55 PM

usasma
I did establish another administrator account and that works fine but when I use that to create another standard user account I get the same messages. I have two adminstrator accounts that work but no standard user accounts that can connect to the internet.

wcb

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2007 - 07:22 AM

This seems to confirm a deep-seated corruption of the OS. I'd recommend going to Start and type in "sfc.exe /scannow" (without the quotes), then go to the top of the window and right click on SFC.EXE /SCANNOW in order to select "Run As Administrator"

Should that not fix the issue, then I'd suspect that it was time to repair Vista. Here's a link for it: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-re...tall-vista.html

If the link doesn't work, then try this cached link at Google (starts about 1/2 way down the page): http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:UiXgb...lient=firefox-a
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users