Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Probable Virus Captures Postal Address & Shuts Down Programme

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Bob Grainger

Bob Grainger

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 21 November 2007 - 04:31 PM

I'm an IT technician with 20 years experience, but have never seen this before. My client's laptop shuts down any programme when he types in his address pretty much exactly. When he enters '36 the road' (this not his real address though of course - client confidentiality!) into ANY programme, e.g., Word, Notepad, a web browser, Excel, even the Run prompt, ANYWHERE, the moment that he presses the 'd' of 'Road', the application shuts down. Instantly. I have witnessed this happening. He also tells me, although I didn't get to test it, that entering the address without the spaces has the same effect; '36theroad'. The moment the last character is typed (the 'd'), down goes the programme. I've also noticed the following happen. The '3' can be omitted, i.e., entering '6 the road' also shuts down the programme. Also, entering '16 the road' or '96 the road' etc. also shuts it down (it seems to wait for '6 the road'. I've also noticed the following: entering '36 the roa' (leaving off the 'd') and then clicking on something else on the screen will shut down the programme about fifty percent of the time (if it doesn't shut down, then deleting the text and retyping it more often than not will shut down the programme.

A virus scan two days ago (Avast and AVG) did come up with a couple of viruses, but these may have been removed (my client ran the scan, not I). I ran Ad-Aware, but it found nothing. I have rebooted with all 'msconfig' Startup programmes disabled. I have Run Windows Task Manager and terminated as much as I could, but still can't fit the problem.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Bob UK.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 21 November 2007 - 09:43 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer Bob Grainger!

I would suggest you run these Online scans
Panda Active scan?
ESET Online scan
These will catch and kill most Trojan/virus' but not spyware
So then run this and delete all it finds SUPERAntiSpyware
Use the Free home user version and run from Safe Mode after installing and updating.
Should get the rest of the malware.

If problem still persists than you'll need to podt a HiJackThis log
Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log

As always let us know
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users