Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Boot Startup Sequence

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 janefs

janefs

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 21 November 2007 - 02:01 PM

Hello,

I have a problem primarily with the language of the os and user interface. I'm using XP Home. The Packard Bell (spec below) died on me last week with a CPU fan failure and I cooked the CPU.

So new PC purchased and the old HDD from the Packard Bell installed in the new tower as D drive.

New version of XP came pre-installed on C. Trouble is I have re-located to Italy, so now the new XP version is all in Italian and my language skills are in their infancy. I have followed the Start/Regional Language Options/Languages/ Details/Advanced etc as suggested on

http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/referen...p/changeUI.mspx

mostly by comparing the screens to my laptop. I used 'Apply' on all changes. However, on a restart, the Language has not changed and I am still with all menus and help on the GUI in Italian.

Questions: am I missing something on the instructions (have tried it a dozen times now) and can I change the language on XP Home...... one attempt asked me for the XP installation CD, but I have XP installed on a reserved area, therefore no XP Install disks.

Or, if not possible, can I boot from the XP version on the old HDD now in D drive. Do I need to have the drives physically switched, do I re-assign the drive letter (not happy with this option for some reason) or can I get BIOS to boot from the D drive, and if I do this is it likely to have the result I want, namely, run the same English version of XP as the old Packard Bell did?

Any advice appreciated.

Jane

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Specs ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ASUS N67VM-S3113V, Intel i7-3610 QM, CPU 2.3GHz 8GB RAM, 1TB, 64-bit OS, Windows 10 Home 
ASUS Eee 1005HA, Intel Atom CPU N270 1.60GHZ 1GB RAM, 32-bit OS, Windows 10 Home

NUC5i5RYH: Intel i5, 32-bit Windows 10 Pro

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 21 November 2007 - 03:19 PM

Can't help with the lanuage problem as I've only used English.
To boot from the D drive you would have to edit your boot .ini file to this-

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="XP on primary drive" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="XP on d drive" /fastdetect
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

When you first bootup you'll have a choice of the C drive, primary, or the D drive.
Here's how to edit the boot .ini file-
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022

Edited by CTH_Tom, 21 November 2007 - 03:20 PM.

X

#3 janefs

janefs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 21 November 2007 - 04:43 PM

Hi,

I have made the changes. On startup, I get the three options for C, D and recovery. when I select D I get a black/white screen with what I assume is a Windows has not closed correctly message, with three options like "Start in Safe Mode". One option is highlighted.

At the bottom is a seconds countdown with words similar to "this option will be done in nn seconds"

Sorry but as this is still all in Italian I don't know exactly what it is telling me, but I hope someone recognises this screen/message.

The only option which works to boot up XP is if I select the C drive. Italian still.

BTW On my original boot.ini I had an option /noexecute=optin which is currently removed.... is this option significant?

Thanks
Jane

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Specs ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ASUS N67VM-S3113V, Intel i7-3610 QM, CPU 2.3GHz 8GB RAM, 1TB, 64-bit OS, Windows 10 Home 
ASUS Eee 1005HA, Intel Atom CPU N270 1.60GHZ 1GB RAM, 32-bit OS, Windows 10 Home

NUC5i5RYH: Intel i5, 32-bit Windows 10 Pro

#4 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 21 November 2007 - 07:50 PM

The NoExecute=OptIn part has to do with SP2 and DEP. If you do have a recent CPU, it means you are booting with the PAE kernel, and data execution protection is enabled -- but only for those programs that are "opted in". Most if not all of MS's programs are opted in.
You didn't post if you had SP2 or not so I left it out. You can add it back in but it shouldn't really make a difference in booting since you can access the C drive.
Does the D drive boot into safe mode?
That countdown is the 10 seconds you have to make a choice which drive you want to boot from, timeout=10. You can change that to how many seconds you want, I just made it 10 so you could see the screen for a few seconds.
EDIT: Forgot to ask but are there only 1 partition on each drive?
Well have to edit the boot .ini file if there are other partitions.
Can you get someone who speaks Italian to read you the screen?

Edited by CTH_Tom, 21 November 2007 - 07:59 PM.

X

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 21 November 2007 - 08:10 PM

if you can't borrow an xp home oem disk then do you have the option to burn disks for your computer from the recovery partition?

you can't run xp from the other drive unless you run a repair or load special drivers from safe mode
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 22 November 2007 - 02:24 AM

I don't think you will be able to change the language to English on the installation on the C: drive. My understanding of this is that you can only change the language if you have an English version of Windows with the Multilingual User Interface Pack.

I think DaChew's advice is the best. Beg, borrow or steal an XP Disk and run a repair install on the D: drive. The reason it won't boot from the D: drive is that the installation on that drive has all the hardware drivers set up for your old Packard Bell machine, and they are not compatible with your new machine.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 22 November 2007 - 08:24 AM

In general, if you've purchased a localized version of XP (the most common type), then you've got to purchase a version that's localized for English
If you've purchased the English version with the MUI Pack, then you'll be able to convert between languages. This would be stated on the documentation that you received with the computer.

Since you're on your way to becoming multi-lingual, it may be a good idea to purchase a copy of XP with the MUI - here's a link to some: http://software.pricegrabber.com/windows-f...arch=mui/qlty=o
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users