Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does A Windows Reinstall Delete Everything?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy James

Jeremy James

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 21 November 2007 - 01:07 PM

I put a thread up earlier about a dell computer having issues with the hard drive. I was actually posting the question for a friend of mine in another state. Someone went by and reinstalled XP on the computer, and it's coming up now. However, all the files are gone. Are they truly gone, or in another partition? Is there a way to retrieve those?

Jeremy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PoweredByGoogle

PoweredByGoogle

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 21 November 2007 - 01:36 PM

If the person who reinstalled the OS did a Clean Reformat the files are gone, you should ask them if they made any type of back up.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 22 November 2007 - 07:30 AM

There are ways to attempt to recover the data. Results aren't guaranteed and it's very, very expensive!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 syunichi

syunichi

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2007 - 12:43 AM

If a clean installation with formattin, by logic it will. But if by reinstalling by leaving the state of the partition, means to overwrite just the OS files, you will only lost things in c:\windows.

That is from what I experienced. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

Tech Support: "Do you have any windows open right now?"
Customer: "Are you crazy woman, it's twenty below outside..."

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 23 November 2007 - 01:16 AM

This is why I always install at least two partitions so that I always have my OS on a separate partition from my files.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 syunichi

syunichi

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2007 - 02:39 AM

I second dc3's suggestion. Like in my workplace, my I.T exec tought me to make 2 partitions and let the data partition or what we normally see as D: for FAT32 format. This is to let ghosting run on that partition. Then, do a full installation for the PC, make sure everything is there, and reboot and do Ghosting in DOS. It will benifit in the end because in just less then 10 minutes, a corrupted PC system will be recovered and it saves time and effort.

:thumbsup:
Posted Image

Tech Support: "Do you have any windows open right now?"
Customer: "Are you crazy woman, it's twenty below outside..."

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 23 November 2007 - 03:18 AM

You could try searching the drive with PCInspector (which is a freeware data recovery program) to see if you find any of the old files.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,257 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2007 - 03:58 AM

If all they did was reinstall, all the programs with the files should still be on the main hard drive. But I don't believe any will survive that were in the My Documents folder. If it was formatted, that makes it harder to find, and try what the guys above said... :thumbsup:

edit for spelling :flowers:

Edited by Wildabeast, 23 November 2007 - 03:59 AM.

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users