Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading Video Card & Power Supply - Hp725n

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Bat5454

Bat5454

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 21 November 2007 - 12:56 PM

Hi - my first post here.
I'm thinking of upgrading my HP 725n, about 5 years old.
I recently had to get a new monitor, the old one was dying. I'm getting less resolution on the monitor than I thought I'd get, did some research & was told that the video card on my computer was probably not up to snuff.
The video card I'd be replacing is an Integrated nVidia GeForce4 MX - says it has up to 64MB of allocated memory.
I've been looking online & saw the nVidia GEFORCE 6200 as a possible replacement - its about the right price & I have an open AGP slot.

A couple questions -

1) I think I'd have to replace the power supply in order to change video cards - the one I have is only 200 Watts, every card I've looked at suggests 250 watts or more. How hard is it to replace a power supply? All I've ever replaced is memory.

2) would changing the video card to something like I mentioned above (nVidia GEFORCE 6200) really improve the resolution & graphics ? enuf to make it worth the trouble of changing both a video card & maybe the power supply?

We don't do any real gaming with the computer so don't need a high-end video card, but the resolution on the new monitor with the current card is pretty poor.

thanks for any advice
BT

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 21 November 2007 - 01:21 PM

Ok, a couple of things. :thumbsup:

Yes, a larger power supply is in order and at least 450 watts. They are very easy to replace. Usually just 4 screws and unplug all the connectors. :huh:

You want to verify that the new power supply has all of the necessary connectors for that motherboard. Unless it is really old, that shouldn't be a problem. :huh:

The old Video Card is AGP 8x. Make certain the new card is also AGP 8x and you should be good to go. If all you are doing is surfing the internet, you will not notice much of a difference.

If you have less than 512MB of RAM, I would upgrade the RAM to at least 1GB or even 2. That will show you a major improvement.

Good luck.

DR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users