Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card Driver Issues?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 swagger

swagger

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 21 November 2007 - 12:05 PM

Well,

Hello everyone. I just received my new AMD/ATI 3870 yesterday and have it all rigged up and ready to go. I am quite impressed by certain aspects of the card and concerned about others. I hope you all can help me address my concerns.

First let me just say the positive things about the card. It seemed rather easy to fit into my case (a Cooler Master Cavalier 3) by just shifting a few wires around and getting it into the slot. Second, the temps of all my components according to the program Sensorsview that I use are 1-2C cooler than before I upgraded the card. I think it has something to do with this huge fan helping to push all the hot air out the side vent.

So on to my concerns... I ran 3DMark a couple of days ago to get the score on my system with the old video card in and wanted to compare it with the new card. So once I had fired up XP with drivers installed, I tried to run 3DMark but it froze. Tried it several times, even after a reboot, it kept freezing. I then downloaded and installed ATITool to monitor the GPU temps and that keeps freezing as well. I have played BF2 and TF2 and it works just fine. Also I noticed in device manager, there is a driver issue with a "PCI device" yet under the display adapter, the video card is shown there with no driver issues. It's weird... I am running XP SP2 with the specs of the system below. Any help would be appreciated.

Keith

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2007 - 12:19 PM

Have you checked the manufacturer's site to be sure you have the latest drivers?
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 21 November 2007 - 01:23 PM

before you took the old card out did you thoroughly remove all the drivers and directories the old card had?

#4 swagger

swagger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2007 - 04:00 PM

I did check the site for new drivers and until about 30 mins ago, I had them... I downloaded the new ones that were released today and yes, I thoroughly cleaned the drivers with Driver Cleaner. I will let you know if it works as I just reinstalled 3DMark

#5 swagger

swagger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2007 - 04:33 PM

Well,

After numerous things done, 3DMark works. I updated the drivers to 7.11 which were released earlier this afternoon. I also uninstalled/installed 3DMark and installed a hotfix that was made available last month to add new hardware detection. So in a nutshell, it works, but I don't know which step fixed it. Thanks for your help everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users