Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flash Video Viewing -

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 21 November 2007 - 11:46 AM

Whenever I find a video on the web that I deem worthy of wasting my time on, the first thing I do when it starts is check to see if it's a "Flash" video. If it is, I just stop it and move on, since I know that it's going to stop every 4 - 5 seconds, for a second or two. Since it seems that more and more of the video on the net today is in flash format, I don't watch a lot, anymore.

Anyone know what the problem might be? The system I'm using is:

HP Pavilion 7955 desktop

- 1.5GP4
- 768 MB RAM
- GeForce FX 5200 video card
- system sound
- 40G HD that came with system
- 100G Maxtor HD

If more info is needed, I'll be happy to oblige. As far as I know, all of my drivers are up-to-date, as well.

Almost forgot - Firefox is my primary browser, I have ZoneAlarm for a firewall, and my anti-virus is AVG.

Edited by MattV, 21 November 2007 - 11:48 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 21 November 2007 - 06:38 PM

Do you have the latest version of Flash?

#3 MattV

MattV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2007 - 12:09 AM

Do you have the latest version of Flash?

Yep.

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2007 - 06:28 AM

Then you need to be more specific. Are you talking about Youtube or other viral video sites because they all use Flash. When Youtube first started a couple of years ago they did have serious problems and it wasn't robust enough. They just don't anymore and announced plans last week to improve the video quality to an even higher level. Post a link to a video you're having problems with. Maybe there's a problem with it. What's more likely is you're overreacting to an isolated incident. If you're going to watch videos on the internet, you're going to have to live with Flash.

Edited by frankp316, 22 November 2007 - 06:29 AM.

#5 MattV

MattV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2007 - 09:10 AM

Then you need to be more specific. Are you talking about Youtube or other viral video sites because they all use Flash. When Youtube first started a couple of years ago they did have serious problems and it wasn't robust enough. They just don't anymore and announced plans last week to improve the video quality to an even higher level. Post a link to a video you're having problems with. Maybe there's a problem with it. What's more likely is you're overreacting to an isolated incident. If you're going to watch videos on the internet, you're going to have to live with Flash.

YouTube I don't have a problem with. As far as posting a link goes, I may look at a dozen or more different video clips a day - all different, on different sites. Mostly news clips and documentaries, while doing research. Not anything I'd watch over and over. So if I try to watch something and the problem is there, then cutting it off and looking somewhere else is about the only option?

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2007 - 11:18 AM

Then it might not be a problem with Flash. Many proprietary sites use something else. I watch videos sometimes on nascar.com and they use Windows Media. It's also possible that videos on an individual site may not be as robust as it needs to be. The problem may be with individual websites and not with Flash but who knows without specifics.

#7 MattV

MattV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2007 - 10:50 PM

I don't have any trouble if it's a .wmv file. The other day I wanted to watch a half-hour documentary on the Genesis myth. There was no way I could put up with four or five seconds worth of film and then a two second break throughout the whole thing. (Tried to find the same thing in .wmv format, but no luck.)

Guess I'll just keep doing what I've been doing; If I don't get what I need at one site, try another.

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 22 November 2007 - 11:21 PM

Have you tried downloading the video, and playing it?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2007 - 06:38 AM

He needs to be more specific because Flash is not the problem. The website posting the video is the problem meaning there is no solution other than contacting them and complaining. They may not even know that the video doesn't work properly. I would still like a link so I can know for sure.

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 23 November 2007 - 06:45 AM

If you haven't already done this, I would try uninstalling and then reinstalling Flash.

To uninstall use the Adobe Flash Player uninstaller here.

Reboot, go here and reinstall.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 MattV

MattV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2007 - 07:55 AM

Have you tried downloading the video, and playing it?

How so you DL a flash video? Nothing I've tried works.

#12 MattV

MattV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2007 - 07:59 AM

He needs to be more specific because Flash is not the problem. The website posting the video is the problem meaning there is no solution other than contacting them and complaining. They may not even know that the video doesn't work properly. I would still like a link so I can know for sure.

Remember this?

As far as posting a link goes, I may look at a dozen or more different video clips a day - all different, on different sites. Mostly news clips and documentaries, while doing research. Not anything I'd watch over and over.

#13 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 23 November 2007 - 10:26 AM

How so you DL a flash video? Nothing I've tried works.

If you use Firefox, you can try the UnPlug extension.
They also have a couple of others, you can try.

This extension lets you save video, and audio, which is embedded on a webpage.
It scans web pages and tells you where media players are getting their data from, then displays it as a page of hyperlinks.
Click Save, name it, and pick a place to save it.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#14 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2007 - 11:46 AM

Most of those video downloaders are designed to work with Youtube and other viral video sites. Generally they don't work on proprietary sites that have video clips embedded. I usually have to use URL Snooper for that.

Edited by frankp316, 23 November 2007 - 11:55 AM.

#15 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2007 - 11:53 AM

Remember this?

As far as posting a link goes, I may look at a dozen or more different video clips a day - all different, on different sites. Mostly news clips and documentaries, while doing research. Not anything I'd watch over and over.

It doesn't matter. Maybe it's not important enough or it doesn't happen often enough to make any difference to you. In order to determine the correct answer to your concern, more specific info is required. It's very easy to blame Flash when the problem is more likely on the website in question meaning that nothing that you try will help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users