Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb Unknown Device

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 goofyredneck

goofyredneck

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 21 November 2007 - 09:28 AM

I have lost the capability to use storage devices via my USB ports. My mouse and printer still work on the USB ports. I have swapped ports with the mouse and it works on different ports. I have a Scandisk thumb drive, a PNY thumb drive, a LiteOn DVD recorder and a Kodak Card reader that will not work via the USB ports. When I attempt to plug them in, I get “Unknown Device”, then I get “Device is connected and ready for use”, but it does not show on my computer.

I tried restoring to an earlier date, recovering and I went to Microsoft’s website and searched for some help. It suggested, I delete the USB devices, restart the computer, then reconnect after log on. I also tried loading the drivers and software that came with the devices, but my system still does not recognize them. I then, tried cleaning the inside of the computer and checked for loose connections. Nothing I have tried seems to work. It is as if I have lost the plug and play that is supposed to be with XP.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? If so, how did you fix it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 22 November 2007 - 07:26 AM

You need to check your motherboard specs. My son had an older FIC board with a P3 1.4GHz abd he could not get USB 2.0 support.

Typically, you would remove the device and then reboot and reinstall. But it sounds like you have already done that.

Check this:

Insert a drive into the USB port.

Now Right Click on My Computer and Left Click on Manage

Open Storage and go to Disk Management

See what different drives are listed there. You should have at least a C: drive and if you have a CD-ROM you should have a D:.

If you do not see the external drive or Flash drive, you probably have a motherboard issue. You can get a PCI card that will give you 2 or 4 USB ports. They are not expensive and would be worth trying it out.

Good luck.

DR

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 22 November 2007 - 08:39 AM

You say you deleted the USB devices...but they are not the problem.

Did you remove the drivers from the USB Controller, reboot, and allow it to reinstall?

Louis

#4 goofyredneck

goofyredneck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2007 - 09:38 AM

Louis,

I went into device manager and deleted the USB connections, and then rebooted. I have tried to reinstall the drives that came with each device, but can not get them to work again. The previously worked, but for no apparent reason, they stopped.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,559 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2007 - 09:46 AM

OK, understood.

How about trying a USB PCI card? I have seen several instances where onboard devices (USB, NICs) just quit, while not reflecting any warnings at all in XP...so I keep a PCI card for such around when I decide to use onboard functions for such.

As for the drives...too easy. Just try them on the USB ports on another system, eliminate the confusion/worry.

Louis

#6 NanZee

NanZee

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 25 November 2007 - 11:38 PM

Hello. I hope you are still checking this thread because I have an important and serious question. I have the exact same experience and am awaiting my tech to come and try to correct the problem. I tried all the suggestions in this thread before calling his support in and now am faced with a possible mobo replacement.

My question is: are you using any computer program or game that utilizes SecuRom? I started having problems of all sorts after April of 2007 due to EAGames incorporation of SecuRom copy protection. And I sincerely suspect that it may have had something also to do with this weird loss of some, but not all external drive usage.

Reformatting and reloading the operating system did not avail BTW. So the damage is to the mobo itself. I would like to know if you had any SecuRom existing in your system.

Thanks for the attention. Nan

#7 goofyredneck

goofyredneck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2007 - 01:16 AM

Nanzee,

I was not using any type of game. I only use my computer for administrative, & graphic home use. I do not load games on it. I did nothing different when this started. I just come home from work and tried to asccess my thumb drive.

My drives work on other computers, but not on mine.

#8 goofyredneck

goofyredneck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2007 - 01:17 AM

Louis,

My drives work on other systems just fine. Do you think if I install a new USB 2.0 card that it will fix my problem?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,559 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2007 - 01:15 PM

Solving computer problems/situations...is pretty much trial-and-error for me. I don't normally know of given solutions.

Louis

#10 goofyredneck

goofyredneck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:51 AM

Thanks everyone. I bought a PC card with USB ports and installed it. I can still use my existing ports for the mouse and printer and now I use the new card pots for my storage devices.

Thanks for the suggestions and help.

Chuck

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,559 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2007 - 10:37 AM

Nice job, happy computing, Chuck :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users