Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Housecall Scanner Getting Terminated By Something.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 21 November 2007 - 07:33 PM

Most Internet connectivity problems arise out of corrupt Winsock settings due to the installation of a networking software or Malware infestation. If your ISP provider insists that your connection is coming through, the problem must be at your end.

If your using Windows XP SP2, log on as an administrator.
Go to Start > Run and type: cmd
Press OK or Hit Enter. A dos Window will appear.
At the command prompt, type or copy/paste: netsh winsock reset
Hit Enter.
When the program is finished, you will receive the message: "Successfully reset the Winsock Catalog. You must restart the machine in order to complete the reset."
Close the command box and reboot your computer.

Go to Start > Run > type: cmd
Press OK or Hit Enter.
At the command prompt, type or copy/paste: ipconfig /flushdns
Hit Enter.
Close the command box.

Then go to Start > Control Panel, and choose Network Connections.
Right click on your default connection, usually Local Area Connection or Dial-up Connection if you are using Dial-up, and and choose Properties.
Double-click on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) item.
Select the radio button that says "Obtain DNS servers automatically".
Click OK twice to get out of the properties screen and restart your computer.

CAUTION: It is possible that your Internet Service Provider requires specific settings here. Make sure you know if you need specific DNS settings here or not before you make these changes or you may lose your internet connection. If you are sure you do not need a specific DNS address, you may proceed.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 goatman2

goatman2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 21 November 2007 - 08:17 PM

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.

Reading your red warning, I have to say that I have lost my internet connection anyway! Do I have anything to lose?

What is a DNS setting?

I use virginmedia broadband (ex telewest). Do they require specific DNS settings?

I have found out what my IP address is, I found the text in a box in control panel area.

I read just now some info on another site regarding registry repair and the best advice seemed to be don't bother, reformat the hard drive. Would you agree? Trouble is I don't want to lose all my data.

Cheers,

Steve

#18 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,266 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2007 - 10:36 PM

What is a DNS setting?

Domain Naming System. See Windows XP DNS Caching and How to configure TCP/IP to use DNS in Windows XP

I use virginmedia broadband (ex telewest). Do they require specific DNS settings?

Contact them and ask.

#19 goatman2

goatman2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2007 - 05:05 AM

Happy Thansgiving, to all those US folk out there!

Well I phoned the broadband provider. They do not require specific DNS settings. However, they were able to disable and re-enable my broadband modem and hey presto, the connection was restored! Should have tried that myself! Oh well.

My last run of spybot said nothing found, but had a long list of "out of memory" type errors. Have rebooted the PC and will re-run Spybot, then try Housecall online.

Cheers,

Steve.

#20 goatman2

goatman2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2007 - 06:27 AM

Another scan with spybot showed the following:

Doubleclick
MediaPlex
TagASaurus
WebTrends live

DoubleClick was supposed to have been removed by Spybot earlier.

The others previously did not show.

Cheers,

Steve

Edit #1:

A problem has developed with my PC.

If I click, or double click on an icon on the desktop, the pc does not respond the way it should. If I double click, an hour glass appears, then disappears and nothing happens. If I double click frantically, then eventually the application usually starts. Any ideas?

Still scanning with all the recommended products at present. (not all at once! :thumbsup:))

Cheers,

Steve

Edited by goatman2, 22 November 2007 - 07:35 AM.

#21 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,266 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2007 - 08:22 AM

Sounds like Spybot is finding and reporting tracking cookies.

Cookies are text string messages given to a Web browser by a Web server. Whenever you visit a web page or navigate different pages with your browser, the web site generates a unique ID number which your browser stores in a text (cookie) file that is sent back to the server each time the browser requests a page from that server. Cookies allow third-party providers such as ad serving networks, spyware or adware providers to track personal information. The main purpose of cookies is to identify users and prepare customized Web pages for them.

Cookies can be categorized as:
Trusted cookies are from sites you trust, use often, and want to be able to identify and personalize content for you.
Nuisance cookies are from those sites you do not recognize or often use but somehow it's put a cookie on your machine.
Bad cookies are those that can be linked to an ad company or something that tracks your movements across the web. They are called "profiling cookies," "persistent cookies," "long term tracking cookies," "third party tracking cookies" or "tracking cookies.

The type of cookie that is a cause for concern are "tracking cookies" because they can be considered a privacy risk. These types of cookies are used to track your Web browsing habits (your movement from site to site). Ad companies use them to record your activity on all sites where they have placed ads. They can keep count of how many times you visited a web page, store your username and password so you don't have to log in and retain your custom settings. When you visit one of these sites, a cookie is placed on your computer. Each time you visit another site that hosts one of their ads, that same cookie is read, and soon they have assembled a list of which of their sites you have visited and which of their ads that you have clicked on. They are used all over the Internet and advertisement companies often plant them whenever your browser loads one of their banners. Cookies are NOT a "threat". As text files they cannot be executed to cause any damage. Cookies do not cause any pop ups nor do they install malware.

As long as you surf the Internet, you are going to get cookies and some of your security programs will flag them for removal. However, you can minimize this by reading "Blocking & Managing Unwanted Cookies"

As for double-click hanging, there can be various reasons for that. Have you checked your mouse settings? Some software has been reported to interfere with with the mouse functions. McAfee Privacy Security Service is one example. After it was disable, double-clicked worked fine.

#22 goatman2

goatman2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2007 - 09:06 AM

OK thanks,

I Went to mouse panel via control panel and could not see anything untoward. I left things as they were.

My PC has for some time been very slow. It is slower than ever now. I often get a message saying that the system is short of virtual memory and that windows is increasing the size of some paging file. I have expanded the memory to the max allowable (256Mb). I am looking to get another PC, but still would like to retain this one as back up, so would like it to work properly.

A symptom my PC has had for ages is that after it has been working for a while wih a few internet windows open, when I use Outlook Express 6, I get a message stating that Norton Antivrus was unable to scan my emails for infections. This, I presume is due to lack of memory.

Cheers

Steve

#23 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,266 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2007 - 09:11 AM

If your computer seems to be slow, read Slow Computer/Browser? Check here first; it may not be malware. There are reasons for slowness besides malware - i.e. disk fragmentation, disk errors, corrupt system files, too many startup programs, unnecessary services running, not enough RAM, dirty hardware components, etc. As your system gets older it becomes filled with more files/programs and has a natural tendency to slow down so cleaning and regular maintenance is essential.

#24 goatman2

goatman2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2007 - 12:42 PM

OK thanks,

I have a hard drive of 250Gb, so was not suspecting a disc problem. You mention RAM. and I only have 256Mb. I am looking at getting a new machine, but would like to keep the old one as back up.

Housecall has finished its scan. Apart from the usual cookies, it found:

ADWARE_180SOLUTIONS 1 infection
FREELOADER_SMITFRAUD 1 infection

I will see now if they can be removed successfully...

Cheers,

Steve

Well just an update: Housecall is still cleaning the PC

I must thank you for your previous post, Quietman. I read the article and found that my Internet Explorer cache was 1024Mb. I have reduced it to 100Mb and surfing seems to have speeded up to a pleasant pace. That's brilliant!

I just tried to use my printer and nothing was printed. It is a Lexmark Z23. The usual voice said "Printing Started" and "Printing complete" but no information was printed! :flowers:
Guess I will reboot before worrying too much about that...

Steve

Another update:
I just tried to open a new Internet Explorer window and a box popped up
saying "Runtime error 203 at 02F15021 :thumbsup:

Edited by goatman2, 22 November 2007 - 03:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users