Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Windows (amongst Other Things) Are Driving Me Mad!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Brandy is Confused

Brandy is Confused

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 21 November 2007 - 01:09 AM

Hey!

I was last here in August, after my machine ended up with a virus. Things have been okay since then, mostly...except I'm havign a problem with my winodws. When I try to minimize one, be it IE or an IM, it'll spring right up again, and do that multiple times. When I close out a window, and if I have another one open that's related to it, they'll both close. When I hit "back", I'll go back two or three pages.
When I tried to post a comment on someone's online journal, I somehow ended up on the privacy policy page, and earlier, when I tried to delete my spam messages - I DID hit the delete key, mind you - I wound up READING one, instead.

This has been going on since the virus incident in August, but it seems to really be bugging out now.

I have AVG Free Edition virus scanner, Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, and CCleaner. Earlier, I ran all but CCleaner in Safe Mode (I ran that the day before). Nothing virusy has popped up in the results, though my AVG has been taking a LOT longer to scan than it used to...

We still have IE 6, and I'm running on Windows XP.

And my mouse speed is toned down to the slowest possible, but I'm still getting like...quadruple clicking-speed when I go to hit a link or open a file.

I didn't know if this warrented a HijackThis! log or not...that's why I'm posting it here.

Any help would be appreciated - this is my mom's machine, and I do the upkeep on it...and I'd love to keep it as un-frustrating as possible for she and my dad...

Thank you!

Edited by Brandy is Confused, 21 November 2007 - 01:28 AM.

"Virus Alert!/Delete immediately before someone gets hurt/Forward this message to everybody..." - Weird Al.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 21 November 2007 - 06:27 AM

Below is a link to BC's tutorial for repairing IE6.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/repair-internet-explorer-6-and-outlook-express/

Below are links to 2 good programs to check for and remove malware from your computer.
Install Super Antispyware free. Run it in safe mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Run the online scan for Bit Defender in normal mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html

You may want to consider installing IE7 after confirming with the two programs above that you are malware free.
You could also use another browser such as Firefox.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Brandy is Confused

Brandy is Confused
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2007 - 11:43 PM

Thank you - I'll try those out, and I'll more than likely end up upgrading...

Also, could these be related to the above annoyances at all - sometimes when I click on a typing area, my cursor won't show...and my enter key doesn't want to cooperate every now and then, either. My mouse and my keyboard are in good condition...?
"Virus Alert!/Delete immediately before someone gets hurt/Forward this message to everybody..." - Weird Al.

#4 Brandy is Confused

Brandy is Confused
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2007 - 01:48 AM

Below is a link to BC's tutorial for repairing IE6.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/repair-internet-explorer-6-and-outlook-express/

Below are links to 2 good programs to check for and remove malware from your computer.
Install Super Antispyware free. Run it in safe mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Run the online scan for Bit Defender in normal mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html

You may want to consider installing IE7 after confirming with the two programs above that you are malware free.
You could also use another browser such as Firefox.

Hey!

I downloaded and ran Super AntiSpyware in safe mode, and found like...27 tracking cookies.
I tried Bit Defender, and after waiting a little over a half hour, the scan decided it would be finished in 29 hours...that's a problem for me, since I have dial-up and need to be to work later today. I had to stop the scan.

I wanted to add something before I upgrade to IE 7 - I should have mentioned that the windowsrestoring by themselves multiple times after I try minimizing them/clicking on something once and having it act like I double-clicked on it is NOT limited to my internet explorer windows and IM windows. It happens when I'm looking through pictures on the computer also, for example. I forgot to mention that earlier...

But, I haven't found any viruses, just annoying tracking cookies. And I've been trying to keep all of my scanning software as up-to-date as I possibly can. Any other suggestions before I upgrade to IE 7?

Thank you!!!

Edited by Brandy is Confused, 26 November 2007 - 01:52 AM.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 26 November 2007 - 05:15 AM

There is a lot of good info in the link below.
A couple of things that stand out are cleaning the temp files, etc. before installing IE7.
It seems Norton Security products may interfere with install so it is recommended to exit those programs if you have
Norton Antivirus or Antispyware after downloading and before installing IE7.
http://ict.cas.psu.edu/training/howto/comm...tallie7.htm#top

A good program to assist you in cleaning up the computer is Ccleaner
Remove temporary files, logs, cookies, etc. by using Ccleaner. Do not use "Advanced Settings" or the "Issues" button. Use only the default settings. http://www.ccleaner.com/
During the install of Ccleaner you will be offered the Yahoo Toolbar. Be sure to UNcheck if not wanted.

29 hours?? Skip that! If you have scanned with the AV you have installed, that is good enough.

Once you have IE7 installed you can block the cookies installed by advertisers (third party cookies) by following the
simple directions in the link below.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...cookies-in-ie7/

Edited by buddy215, 26 November 2007 - 05:17 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 Brandy is Confused

Brandy is Confused
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2007 - 12:26 AM

Hey again!

I do have CCleaner, and I'm always making sure it's up-to-date. ^_^

I'll check those links out and update...possibly tomorrow.
(Yay for being sick and taking meds that knock you out... :thumbsup:)

Thank you for the wonderful help and information! The windows-popping-back-up problem hasn't been happening much lately, though my mouse still likes to think I'm double-clicking. At least it's not as frustrating as it has been! :D

#7 Brandy is Confused

Brandy is Confused
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2007 - 02:26 AM

This may or may not have to do with anything, but...

I have Ad-Aware. I have CCleaner. I have SuperAntiSpyware Free Edition. I have AVG Free Antivirus. I have Windows Firewall turned on. I have Spybot S&D, and I have its little tea timer running constantly.

This is for my mom...

Mom has an Excite account in which she e-mails through. I'm not sure if it's because of any of the aforementioned programs, but she can't log into it. I tried it myself, and it wouldn't let me log in...I exited the tea timer, and it wouldn't even let me go to the page.

Is it because of the tea timer? Or is it just because of something else?

My apologies in advance, I don't know what could be causing this. Sorry to be a bother...I don't know if she has the addresses from Excited backed up anywhere else or not. =/

And on the BRIGHT side, the minimizing/restoring problem I had with windows before is nearly nonexistant. :flowers:

EDIT - Never mind, I apologize -I played with the tea timer/ S&D Resident, and that was what was blocking the ability to get into the website. Thanks for your patience with me, everyone. :thumbsup:

Edited by Brandy is Confused, 05 December 2007 - 02:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users