Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hidden Files Left On The Hdd

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 paranoid74

paranoid74

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 20 November 2007 - 11:11 PM

I have been baffled by what XP has shown me lately.

I have selected all the options I can find that would allow me to see all hidden/system files on the HDD with explorer. I have set the Internet Explorer 7 (7.0.5730.11) options to delete all temp files, including offline content, and even gone into tools and selected Delete All. So my expectations were that once leaving IE, the temp files would be gone. However I did find, and delete files in the Temporary Internet Files directory, as well as files I felt were connected with History. (Even though IE should have rid the HDD of them)

I then ran defrag, and low and behold, some of the files that defrag was now "moving", were (I thought deleted) but obviously, still on the HDD. I stopped defrag, and searched for the filename that defrag reported. There were several files, and one of the files was "DC-11030[1].jpg". Search came up with NOTHING. There seemed to be no way to find or delete this file, and I suspect many, many others.

I do know that the above, named file was one I downloaded from a friend's site. Right clicked on it, "save target as", and saved the file on a USB drive. The file is correctly on the USB drive, but for some reason XP added the "[1]", and it appears to be on the HDD too, (according to defrag's reporting).

That lead me to believe that there are many files that cannot be seen, or deleted, and the amount of HDD space continues to shrink, as time goes on.

I did find information on removing this type of file from older versions of Windows, but I have not found anything about removing this type from XP.

I have searched this forum to find help, but I am sure my attempts could have been more complete. I have not found quite what I need. I have also posted this message many other forums, and apologize if I have wasted anyone’s time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thnx

Edited by paranoid74, 21 November 2007 - 02:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 paranoid74

paranoid74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 23 November 2007 - 05:40 PM

Good information regarding this issue.

re: Hidden files on the HDD - xp
Wednesday, November 21, 2007 at 1:12 pm
Windows XP Annoyances Discussion Forum
Posted by Steve (17264 messages posted)

Probably just stuff that gets stuck in the Page file. It will eventually get overwritten. As a test turn off the Page File and System Restore, and reboot. Then run Defrag, and see if the stuff you noticed shows up.

And I used Steve's idea to do the following:

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

By all appearances your description is right on.

I selected "No Page file", rebooted, ran disk cleanup, defrag, and saw no sign of
the file I was sure was gone.

Then to be sure, rebooted, disk cleanup, defrag, set the page file to a ridiculously
small size (40-60mb), reboot. Ran cleanup, defrag, and again there was no sign of
the assumed deleted file.

Page size is back to a reasonable size, and it appears that all is well.

Thanks again :thumbsup:

Edited by paranoid74, 23 November 2007 - 05:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users