Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tis The Season For Dvd Problems?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 NorCal_Mike

NorCal_Mike

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 20 November 2007 - 10:03 PM

Win XP Home Edition on Sony Vaio Laptop, 2GB RAM, everything else function superbly. Purchased EOY 2005, so not a very old system.

I recently uninstalled the original Roxio burning preloaded software as it was crap, to install Roxio Easy Media 10, which I did. Also installed the 3.3 GB Adobe CS3 Master Collection, which is many programs with a myriad of functions, and deleted some older Adobe products. Went to back up some files and utility programs, etc., and though all appeared well when burning, the drive simply won't read a DVD no matter what. It locks up MyComputer until ejected. Tried burning them using Roxio 10 and MagicISO in variety of formats: same result. Loaded ISO Buster, supposed to "read anything, recover lost files": same result. LOL...it couldn't read anything.

Jumping ahead, I took them along last night when going to BestBuy to pick up a 500GB external drive, and guess what? This whole stack of disks loaded on their system just fine, so they did in fact burn properly.

The drive will:
  • Play a factory DVD Movie, both Audio and Video
  • Play a factory CD with music
  • Read data CD's I've burned recently and long in the past
  • Load factory software CDs
What it won't do is read any of my data DVD's created now, two months ago, or two years ago.

Given the above, it seems that the drive is not defective, but something - some setting, a registry key, I don't know what - is interfering or not set properly. When I first installed Roxio10, I put it in a new directory with that name because after uninstalling the old version it left 3 folders under the old "Roxio" and each had a couple .dlls in them. I was concerned they were shared so didn't delete them. After two days of frustration, I uninstalled V10 and reinstalled it again choosing the Roxio 10 folder I'd created.

Just now I discovered it installed most of itself in the old Roxio folder, but also a lot of stuff in the V10 folder: Photosuite10, Content, Albums, Blank Layouts, Calendars, Cards and more. Another possibility: Last night I defragged the drive and wonder if it stuck some of it in that folder by mistake, perhaps "misled" by those remaining .dll's? I'm betting that if I uninstall it again, it won't be clean and I'll have to manually delete many files, yet that won't clean up dead registry keys. So, what to do now??

BTW, the other day I saw the guys post about Sonic (which is part of Roxio) and I still have Sonic Stage on here. Anyway, I deleted the lower filter key in the registry (like him, there was NO higher filter key), and it was then that I suddenly could play movies or music CD's. Thought I was home free but, it still wasn't reading my burns, and that's when I uninstalled and reinstalled V10. FYI, the "lower filter" came right back w/ the reinstall.

Though I bought that external drive as a quick fix -- and have wanted one anyway --I seriously want a functioning DVD burner for many reasons, and hope someone has some good advice. I'm about ready to uninstall, manually delete whatever remains, and take it from there. I could care less if Sonic Stage stops working as I never use it. With Roxio10 and WMP11, I think I'd be covered. Took some time to get WMP11 working right so REALLY don't want to screw that up in the process.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Mike

PS. That 500GB drive was $169 at BB last night, but found that CC has it on special for $129(!) so I'm going back to get the difference refunded. It's a SimpleTech, very sleek look (designed by Pininfarina of Lamboghiini design fame), apparently with a WD drive inside. Works like a charm. Set it up in <2 minutes and like the on/off switch feature + other things. Worth a look if you're in need of storage....oh, it comes with 2GB of free online storage to boot! Great for sharing pics, etc.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 10:05 PM

Try deleting the UpperFilters and LowerFilters registry entries and rebooting the computer.

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben...p;x=12&y=13

With any fix that involves the registry you should create a new restore point and backup the registry first.
You may need to reinstall any CD/DVD burning software after doing this.

#3 NorCal_Mike

NorCal_Mike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 10:18 PM

Try deleting the UpperFilters and LowerFilters registry entries and rebooting the computer.

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben...p;x=12&y=13

With any fix that involves the registry you should create a new restore point and backup the registry first.
You may need to reinstall any CD/DVD burning software after doing this.

All that's there is the lower filter, no high filter, and other stuff.

I'm still in shock as to how it possibly reinstalled as it did, unless the defrag did something wierd. It was all to go in the Roxio v10 folder, but only 764 MB are in that folder, while Roxio (the old folder) now has 533 MB's in it! Before the reinstall it had almost nothing, just three folders with a couple .dll's in each. I've used computers since the early '80s and installed a TON of software, yet have never seen anything like this.

Even if deleting the lower filter made it work, I don't know if I'd feel comfortable about this current configuration. What's your take?

#4 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 10:32 PM

I use CD Burner XP now.

#5 NorCal_Mike

NorCal_Mike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 10:46 PM

I deleted the lower filter in the registry, rebooted and get the same problem. Tried a few of the discs that were read just fine out at BB last night, and here's what happens: You can hear it start up briefly, then speed drops back and it starts making those odd sounds from trying to read/process it but can't. Eject it and MyComputer frees up, shows all the drives, etc.

After I run out to BB, unless someone has the miracle cure, it looks like I'll uninstall Roxio, delete what's left and hope for the best. Roxio10 is such a bloated app that I just hope there isn't some shared .dll in there that screws up another program when manually deleting remnants. It's got all kinds of features for making/editing movies, for example, as does some of the programs in Adobe CS3 Master Collection -- and that's a monster to install @ almost 3.5GBs. Till I get this problem fixed, I'm not even bothering with setting up preferences, loading plugins, etc. in Adobe.

I'm also now wondering whether I should uninstall (and leave uninstalled) SonicStage, as I certainly don't need or use it. That could possibly help fix the problem...or create more. Not sure if this is an opportune time to dump it or not. :thumbsup:

Ideas anyone? Will check in after I return. Thanks again~

#6 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 11:06 PM

uninstall any roxio software, delete any folders it made, run ccleaner and do both the cleaner and registry till no errors are found, uninstall cd burner xp, reboot, reinstall cd burner and see. do not install any roxio, sonic, or nero software, period.

#7 NorCal_Mike

NorCal_Mike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2007 - 12:28 AM

uninstall any roxio software, delete any folders it made, run ccleaner and do both the cleaner and registry till no errors are found, uninstall cd burner xp, reboot, reinstall cd burner and see. do not install any roxio, sonic, or nero software, period.

Hey Robert,

Just got home and read your last post. I thought everyone here "hated" and advised against using registry cleaners? I bought Registry Mechanic months ago and think it caused more problems than it fixed, which is what others here intimated as well. Essentially, they said don't ever use them. After resolving numerous issues, I had this thing screaming, working flawlessly...till I added the software described above that is. I only hope running a cleaner doesn't screw things up even more.

That said, I downloaded CDBurner XP before I went to BB but haven't installed yet, and will DL ccleaner momentarily. I was shocked at how bloated Roxio10 was, how much extra crap there was I'd prob never use, and almost didn't install it this weekend. CDBurner XP looks lean 'n mean in comparison, w/ a very small footprint. I'm going to uninstall that preloaded Sonic Stage and hope it doesn't mess with WMP11, which it seemed to do last time and is why I put it back on. I really don't want to spend the next many d

#8 NorCal_Mike

NorCal_Mike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Hey Robert,

Just got home and read your last post. I thought everyone here "hated" and advised against using registry cleaners? I bought Registry Mechanic months ago and think it caused more problems than it fixed, which is what others here intimated as well. Essentially, they said don't ever use them. After resolving numerous issues, I had this thing screaming, working flawlessly...till I added the software described above that is. I only hope running a cleaner doesn't screw things up even more.

That said, I downloaded CDBurner XP before I went to BB but haven't installed yet, and will DL ccleaner momentarily. I was shocked at how bloated Roxio10 was, how much extra crap there was I'd prob never use, and almost didn't install it this weekend. CDBurner XP looks lean 'n mean in comparison, w/ a very small footprint. I'm going to uninstall that preloaded Sonic Stage and hope it doesn't mess with WMP11, which it seemed to do last time and is why I put it back on. I really don't want to spend the next many days trying to rectify this, so hope this works.

Thanks for the suggestions.

#9 NorCal_Mike

NorCal_Mike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Hey Robert,

That said, I downloaded CDBurner XP before I went to BB but haven't installed yet, and will DL ccleaner momentarily. I was shocked at how bloated Roxio10 was, how much extra crap there was I'd prob never use, and almost didn't install it this weekend. CDBurner XP looks lean 'n mean in comparison, w/ a very small footprint. I'm going to uninstall that preloaded Sonic Stage and hope it doesn't mess with WMP11, which it seemed to do last time and is why I put it back on. I really don't want to spend the next many days trying to rectify this, so hope this works.

Thanks for the suggestions.

#10 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2007 - 12:49 AM

CCleaner is about the only one I trust to clean the registry of all the crap that gets left in it. I see you've discovered how invasive and crappy sonic/roxio/nero are, and how they'll screw with anything when they are uninstalled. I consider them almost malware.

#11 NorCal_Mike

NorCal_Mike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2007 - 03:13 AM

Robert,

Got it figured out. While waiting to process a credit at Best Buy, one of the Geek Squad was idle, so I told him about the problem I was having. He said to clean the laser with a QTip and Isopropal alcohol (shut down, remove battery first). What's crazy is, I'd wondered if that might be the problem, since I smoke. He explained there are actually 4 lasers that come thru that one lens, one path could be blocked/dirty, etc. With lots going on, I'd almost forgotten about even trying that after I got home, maybe because I'd often heard you could damage the laser very easily. Anyway, that's what I did and immediately it was reading all my DVDs -- even the real old ones.

Thanks for all the suggestions; it could easily have been more than a dirty laser. Still going to uninstall that other stuff, then give the other apps you mentioned a go. Will be curious as to what effect ccleaner will have. After lots of installs and uninstalls, I know there has to be some funky stuff floating around the registry.

One last thing re my new external 500GB HD. I'd like to partition it for better management, tho' have a good bit on there already. Seems with Partition Magic that doesn't matter, tho' it's a norton product and not fond of them. Any other suggestions?

Thanks again!

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2007 - 03:39 AM

We don't suggest the use of registry cleaners for the reason that there have been a number of problems generated by people that aren't familiar with these programs and don't back up the registry prior to using them and wind up needing to reinstall their OS.

Do not use alcohol to clean the DVD lens, the lens is made of plastic and alcohol can damage it. There are lens cleaners that will work better without the danger of damaging or misaligning the lens.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#13 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 21 November 2007 - 04:29 AM

the walmart(or other brand) of eyeglass cleaner that's formulated for expensive eyewear works great, it's also great for cleaning optical media

getting to the laser lens is not something for the faint of heart and those mechanisms are extremely delicate

the disk clean kit is probably safer for dust

most people just buy a new drive since they are so cheap nowdays
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#14 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2007 - 11:03 AM

well, cigarette smoke could be it since it has tar in it. depending on which model of drive the laptop uses, you may have to disassemble it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users