Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop Continues To Disappear Along With Task Bar

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Kaytee

Kaytee

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 20 November 2007 - 09:56 PM

My desktop continues to disappear, then reappear, over and over. It also removes my task bar at the bottom and then it returns. I tried system restore and I tried safe mode and neither work. Can you help?

(I have not been to your site before, hopefully I am following how to do this correctly...)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kaytee

Kaytee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2007 - 06:30 AM

Anyone?

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 21 November 2007 - 06:38 AM

Have you tried running any anti-virus and/or anti-spyware scans? If so, what were the results?

What happens when you try to get into Safe Mode? Do you get any error messages?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 Kaytee

Kaytee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2007 - 08:20 AM

The only anti virus software I have run is adaware. I don't have another to try.

When I opened in Safe Mode I wanted to do a system restore but the only restore point was after I believe I was infected so I closed out of Safe Mode.

I am not sure what to do.

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 21 November 2007 - 08:27 AM

Install AVG anti-virus (it's free).

Update the definitions for AVG and Adaware while in Normal Mode.

Then reboot your computer into Safe Mode and run full scans with AVG and Adaware.

Then reboot back in to Normal Mode.

Let us know how it goes.

How to start Windows in Safe Mode
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,573 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2007 - 10:49 AM

The only anti virus software I have run is adaware

Ad-aware is not an anti-virus.

Please follow the instructions provided by Budapest as soon as possible.

Be sure to read the AVG Anti-Virus Free User Manual.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 Kaytee

Kaytee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2007 - 01:29 PM

Thank you Budapest and Quietman; I am at work now but will follow your instructions when I get home.

I appreciate your help.

#8 Kaytee

Kaytee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2007 - 11:30 AM

I have run AVG Anti Virus in Safe Mode multiple times; there initially were 13 infections and they have all been removed or healed. When I run it now in Safe Mode there are no infections. I have also run Adaware in Safe Mode and some tracking cookies showed up but that's about it.

In Normal Mode however the problem still exists. As soon as the computer starts up all the icons and task bar appear and then disappear. If I click on the Internet Browser fast it will open and I can work using the internet while in the background everything disappears again. They all reappear and then quickly disappear again.

Any suggestions would be so appreciated.

#9 somi

somi

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 23 November 2007 - 11:54 AM

the problem arose with me too
i think you should opt for a system restore process which helped me in a similar case!

#10 Kaytee

Kaytee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2007 - 03:07 PM

System restore does not have a restore point to go back to prior to this happening unfortunately. I already tried that. The calendar does not allow me to choose any other dates, they need to be bold and there are no other dates bolded that I can go back to prior to this problem beginning.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,573 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2007 - 10:43 PM

Have you tried using System Restore from a command prompt in "Safe Mode"?

#12 Kaytee

Kaytee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2007 - 10:30 AM

That works however there is not a restore point prior to the problem happening. I can get to system restore but there is not a point (the date on the calendar has to be bold and the only one available bold is after the problem-- all the other dates are grayed out) for me to restore to.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,573 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2007 - 10:58 AM

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune & save it to your desktop. DO NOT use yet.
Please download and install SUPERAntiSpyware Free
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and unzip into the program's folder.)
  • Under "General and Startup", make sure "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts" box is unchecked.
  • Under "Configuration and Preferences", click the Preferences button.
  • Click the Scanning Control tab.
  • Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program.
  • Do not run a scan just yet.
Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
  • Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
  • Click the Empty Selected button.
  • If you use Firefox browser click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • If you use Opera browser click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

Scan with SUPERAntiSpyware as follows:
  • Launch the program and back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan and click "Next".
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.
Then perform an Online Virus Scan.

#14 Kaytee

Kaytee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2007 - 08:13 PM

It may have worked Quietman, I am running the online virus scan next....

#15 Kaytee

Kaytee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2007 - 10:04 PM

Right now my computer seems to be back to normal. It looks as though the computer may be fixed. I sound hesistant because it has been quite a process, and I hate to get too excited because it seems the computer is so vulnerable. I apparently had multiple virus infections and bad spyware.

Over the last 4 days I have installed AVG Free, OneCare Live (Microsoft recommended), ATF-Cleaner and SuperAntiSpy. I ran an online antivirus software too but I ended up exiting out of that by accident so it did not really do anything. I ran all of these programs multiple times in both safe mode and normal mode. It has been an lengthy process.

Thank you for your help. Even though I called Microsoft and paid for a service call, I believe your recommendations were the most helpful. I am truly grateful to you.

Thank you so much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users