Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Proper Cable For Svga Monitor

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 eljaytee

eljaytee

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 20 November 2007 - 09:43 PM

I was donated a Gateway EV 910 monitor, a 19 inch model. I'm upgrading from a NEC 17 inch.

I was given an HD 15, m/m, 30V cable to use and have been advised it will work all right between the Gateway monitor and my CPU.

However, I noticed that the NEC has "150 V" written on the permanently attached cable, which makes me think that the 30V cable input cable is really not what I should be using.

I could use some help with this.

Also, if anyone is still reading, I had a flash drive suddenly drain of all memory recently, destroying about a month of notes that I'd stored. I wondered if this was a viral attack through the Internet or a problem with the flash drive itself.

Would appreciate all advice

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 21 November 2007 - 05:19 AM

Hi eljaytee and welcome to BleepingComputer.

I'm guessing that you are referring to the power cable for the monitor? Depending on what country you're in you will either have 230V +/- or 110V and the wire gauge or the cord will need to be able to handle the voltage and ampacity of the electrical system. Here in the US most monitor cables are 18 AWG.

As for the flash drive, if there isn't any information on there it sound like it has failed, a virus shouldn't erase the information.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,225 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 21 November 2007 - 06:29 AM

eljaytee, the HD-15 to HD-15 VGA cable you appear to be describing typically carries a 1V signal, so its insulation rating is not critical.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 eljaytee

eljaytee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 21 November 2007 - 08:52 PM

Great. This is most understandable reply I've gotten to my many posts on this topic.

I guess I could have asked what all those ratings along the side of the cable meant first.
Hmmm.

Thank you for your help, Platy.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,225 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 22 November 2007 - 08:16 AM

Glad to have been able to assist.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users