Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trojan Virus

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 wife

wife

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 20 November 2007 - 08:06 PM

I am running xp home and keep getting the critical warning of Trojan.Zlob.
I have run numerous McAfee scans and spyware scans and can't find it/or get rid of it.
I'm just looking for an easy/good solution to get rid of it.
Thank you in advance for any suggestion you may have!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 20 November 2007 - 08:10 PM

Who's giving you the warnings, McAfee or your anti spyware? What type of spyware do you use?

#3 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 20 November 2007 - 08:12 PM

And welcome.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 20 November 2007 - 08:47 PM

If McAfee is finding Zlob use the two programs below to remove zlob and whatever it has downloaded.

http://siri.urz.free.fr/Fix/SmitfraudFix_En.php (Read and follow directions carefully)

Install Super Antispyware free. Run it in safe mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

How to Start Windows in Safe Mode:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 wife

wife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 10:02 PM

It's a warning from a spyware provider, but not my provider. It seems like it is a trick to get you to download more stuff and when I scan everything it doesn't show up anywhere, but the pop-up is everytime you click on anything on the web

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,147 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 10:12 PM

Have you run the 2 tools mentioned in buddy215's post from safe mode?
Do that and please let us know...
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 wife

wife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 10:21 PM

Okay...please have patience with me,
I have used the smit fraud before, but it's been a long time.
When I go to that site and open and run it, I can do a search but when I shut down and open in safe mode, I can't find it. I'm pretty sure I have to do anything in safe mode under the administrator side. So when I run that does it automatically download to the PC?

#8 wife

wife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 10:23 PM

Okay I think I answered my own question, let me try again.
Thank you everyone for your help!!!!!

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,147 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 10:26 PM

Move the ICon to the left of your desktop before booting to safe mode.
Not to worry we are patient

Edited by boopme, 20 November 2007 - 10:26 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 wife

wife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 10:33 PM

Okay I just tried it again in safe mode and opened it by going to start and then my computer and opening from the c drive. When I open it, it won't run because it says that my Reboot.exe file is missing.
Any ideas?

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,579 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 11:02 PM

Redownload Smitfraudfix from here and save it to your desktop. Delete the other version.

After rebooting into safe mode, when you are at the logon prompt, make sure you log in as the same user account which you used to download the file. If not, you may not be able to find the file on your desktop.

If the tool fails to launch from the Desktop, please move smitfraudFix.exe to the root of the system drive and run it from there.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#12 wife

wife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 11:16 PM

Okay, I found that I just had an old version of smit fraud, so I deleted that one and put the new version on.
I ran the clean under administrator and then got back here and saw the last post to clean under the user who downloaded the virus. So I did it again and still it hasn't gone away.
I'm going to try one more time under the other user and then have a go at it again tomorrow.
Thank you all for all your help.

#13 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 21 November 2007 - 07:11 AM

Since we don't know what is reporting Zlob it is possible you may not be infected with it.
Please report what Super Antispyware found in your next post.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users