Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP activation cr*p

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sw2001

sw2001

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 19 February 2005 - 07:36 PM

I have bought Windows XP and installed on a computer with "Mobile Racks". It was ok for 2 racks, but now on the third one it tells me I have to phone Microsoft for reactivation. What is that B...S...? Does it mean that I have to buy another Windows-CD to be able to install it on ONE computer? And will I be able after reactivation to keep the other HDDs to the third one?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 19 February 2005 - 10:23 PM

Well, if it says call MS, I guess that's what you should do. I have no idea what their policy is toward mobile racks. I understand that their activation is good for up to about 30% hardware change and then you have to call. What really gripes me is that MS sees a motherboard as a computer. (And I always thought the processor did the computing . . .) If your motherboard burns up, they think that you have a new computer and need to re-purchase the operating system.

If you get info on this, come back and let us know.

#3 sw2001

sw2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2005 - 10:57 AM

You don't really own Windows XP. Even when you buy Windows at the store, or if it comes preinstalled on your new computer, it's not yours. The fine print says that only Microsoft owns Windows. You only own a license permission to run Windows on your computer. Worse than that, you're only granted permission to run Windows on a single computer.

In the past, many people bought one version of Windows one for their desktop computer and one for their laptop. And why not? They either used their desktop computer or their laptop they never used them both at the same time.

Windows XP changes that with its new Activation feature. When you install Windows XP, an annoying window pops up, asking you to "activate" your version of Windows. When you click the Activate button, Windows XP takes a "picture" of your computer's components, links them to the serial number on your copy of Windows XP, and sends that information to Microsoft over the Internet.

Then, if you or anybody else ever tries to install that same version of Windows on a different computer, Windows XP says you're using somebody else's version of Windows XP, and it won't work.

Okay, what happens if you don't bother to "activate" a copy of Windows XP? It simply stops working after 30 days. The new Activation feature ensures that each copy of Windows XP will work only on a single computer. Even if Windows XP came preinstalled on your new computer, you can't take the bundled Windows XP CD and install it on another computer.

No Internet connection? Then you must call Microsoft's toll-free number, talk to a customer service representative, and activate your copy of Windows by typing in a 25-number password.

If you want to install Windows XP on several computers, it might be cheaper to purchase a special multi-version license, called a Microsoft License Pak.

If you upgrade your computer adding lots of new parts Windows XP might think it's been installed on a new computer and stop working. The solution? You must call Microsoft's toll-free number and convince those folks that you're not trying to steal their software.

Welcome to Windows XP!

#4 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2005 - 04:55 AM

i had a friend who bought a copy of windows xp professional and he has never activated the product, he installed it himself, he has had it now for a year or more and nothing has come up about activating it, he has done all the latest updates including service pack 2. it must be either the installation missed out the activation part or something didn't copy onto the disk properly for the activation thingy. he installed it on his laptop 6 months ago and it hasn't asked him to activate it ( i know instaling it on a laptop is illegal because it only suppose for dektop pc) but it's updated to the latest. it must think its activated or something.

my neighbour had office 2003 pro he got for $500. he was told when he install it to activate it so he can use it so he installed it went into the help menu and cliked on activate product and a message popped up saying product already activated. so must be a glitch in it, he has updated it to the latest available. i got office 2003 pro i had to activate mine. bugger! something go wrong with my pc i need to ring ms. neighbour don't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users