Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Drive D: Is Full!?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 anderson8605

anderson8605

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 20 November 2007 - 06:36 PM

hi guys whats going on im having a problem with my dad compaq presario c500 laptop i keep gettin a message say drive d is full and when i look at it in my computer it shows full but i can delete anything from it should i just format the whole thing?
Writing Life One Lyric At A Time
Come See Me!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 21 November 2007 - 08:22 AM

Depends on what's on the D: drive. If it's the Recovery partition it's not a good idea to get rid of it unless you've got the Restore disks.
By chance has someone been saving stuff to it? If so, that may be the problem, and moving that stuff to the OS drive could remedy the out of space issue.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 03humphrec

03humphrec

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 26 November 2007 - 03:12 AM

Run a disk Clean up and disk Defag on the drive and see if that helps

#4 ^MavericK!

^MavericK!

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 27 November 2007 - 04:15 AM

This happens cause Vista is saving backup files in recovery partition D.

Go to start and open computer, click Alt key to get the menu on the top. Click on tools and go to folder options. Click on View tab and put a Check mark in Show hidden files. Close that and double click on D Recovery and open it. Usually Vista will save this backup files under the user name adding a -pc "MavericK-pc", or giving just a -pc name to the file, or a folder named Backup. This files are safe to delete, and will liberate the space in the recovery partition of your Compac to make it the size it's supposed to be for it to not give trouble any more.

Close this and click on Start, go to the control panel and on the left side you will see Classic View, click on it and open Backup and Restore Center. click on Backup Files and customize it according to your needs. It's set to backup files in D drive and can easily be changed to another location, like a CDROM or an external Hard drive.

Finally go to Start and click on Computer, click the Alt key to get the menu on the top and click on tools, go to Folders Options and go to the View tab, uncheck show hidden files and then click apply to close it.

I may add that since your PC is part of HP, most likely the System Restore is not turned on, I will suggest you to turn it on for any issue in the future. Really don't know why, but 9 out of 10 HP's/Compac's will have System Restore off by Default.

Hope it helps

:huh:

Mav

Edited by ^MavericK!, 27 November 2007 - 04:18 AM.

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 27 November 2007 - 07:31 AM

This happens cause Vista is saving backup files in recovery partition D.

How do you know that for sure? My files are backed up to my C drive. My restore partition is on my D drive... and as far as I know, Windows always has the system restore enabled by default. In fact, it is usually sent to 15% of the hard drive. Now I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure Microsoft is not going to alow anyone to tinker with their software.

I may add that since your PC is part of HP, most likely the System Restore is not turned on

Now you lost me. What is the difference between system restore and 'backup files'? Maybe this is something new in Vista... can you direct me to the documentation so that I can learn too?

#6 ^MavericK!

^MavericK!

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2007 - 05:25 PM

How do you know that for sure?

^MavericK! = HP Total Care Tech Support Advisor, and since this is a Compac, I work on a daily basis with this type of problems. Thats why I know exactly what files to delete and what files to not delete in the recovery partition.

Now you lost me. What is the difference between system restore and 'backup files'? Maybe this is something new in Vista... can you direct me to the documentation so that I can learn too?

Nothing to do with resotre and this issue, I just wanted to piont out 9 out of 10 HP/Compac have this feature (System Restore) off by default for some strange reason.

Backup feature in Vista can be readed here

Mav

#7 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 27 November 2007 - 05:46 PM

MavericK! = HP Total Care Tech Support Advisor

That's nice to know. I will consider this thread in capable hands, and let you have it (providing the original op ever comes back)

#8 lahr

lahr

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2007 - 05:14 PM

Thank you Maverick for your advice about the recovery drive D
I feel so much better now.

#9 ^MavericK!

^MavericK!

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2007 - 09:34 PM

Thank you Maverick for your advice about the recovery drive D
I feel so much better now.

:huh:

#10 LeaRush

LeaRush

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 01:00 PM

Backup feature in Vista can be readed here

Mav

Ahhh ... Thank you, Mav. That link helped me with a related issue. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users