Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore ; Keep Enabled Or Not When Known To Be Infected?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 20 November 2007 - 09:40 AM

what is the suggested practise on this forum
if you do have system restore enabled ,KEEP it running if you get infected ?
or disable system restore when there is an infection?

if system restore is NOT enabled and you get infected ,create a restore point ;

I ask this as I see on another thread it is mentioned that system restore is disabled as an infection is on the computer

as I understand it; it is far better to have an infected restore point to roll back to if necessary in the cleaning process than to have NO restore points at all?

what are this forum's suggestions ,views and opinions on this point please and the rationale for them

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,240 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 20 November 2007 - 11:38 AM

As I understand and I'll pass along the explanation. It's better to have the infected point available. Once cleaned then you eliminate and create anew.

Unfortunately, some anti-virus vendors recommend disabling System Restore before attempting malware removal so many folks still follow that advice. Turning System Restore off and then turning it back on has some risk associated with it since that feature does not always work as intended. Further, there is always a possibility of something going wrong during the malware removal process and you end up with more problems. Without a restore point to fall back on, you are then stuck with a limited means of restoring your system such as a Repair Install or Reformat. Although System Restore is not 100% guaranteed to work all the time, it at least gives you another option. When the system is clean, then the OP can create a new Restore Point and purge the old ones to prevent accidental re-infection.

See "System Restore and malware removal - what is best practice? ".

Also read Quietman7's reply today here (post #2)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/117374/what-happens-if-i-restore-and-have-a-virus/

Edited by boopme, 20 November 2007 - 11:43 AM.
Add`another link

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 20 November 2007 - 12:29 PM

thank you; I am therefore intruigued to know from which sourse
the comment on this thread
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/117206/infected-w-virtumonde/

that states in post number three

as per many suggestions I have seen on here, I have disabled system restore...

my personal view is that it far better to have an infected restore point to fall back on than none at all ; it the cleaning process goes awry, at least you HAVE SOMEWHERE to go back to ; with restore turned OFF you have ZILCH :thumbsup:

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 20 November 2007 - 01:18 PM

I am therefore intruigued to know from which sourse the comment on this thread

as per many suggestions I have seen on here, I have disabled system restore

Thats the way things were routinely done in the past. Unfortunately, some anti-virus vendors still recommend doing this before attempting malware removal and many folks follow that advice.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users